Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Proper Monitor Color Calibration settings?

COW Forums : Apple Color

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Paul KreuterProper Monitor Color Calibration settings?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:24:47 am

I am trying to do some color correction on my monitors and wanted feedback on what the correct broadcast cd/m2 brightness should be?

I don't have the money for a professional reference monitor so I am calibrating my monitors with the Spyder3 Elite as hopefully the next best solution. Although, I do not know what the White Luminance Target (cd/m2) should be for broadcast video? I have the gamma set to 2.2 and 6500K.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Proper Monitor Color Calibration settings?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:17:09 am

You can't use computer monitors for this. Period. No matter of calibrating with those tools will help.

First off, those tools (Spyder, Eye2One) are for calibrating monitors for PRINT work. Photos..desktop publishing. They don't work for video. There are no calibrators for video work on computer displays.

Second, the little window you have in Color isn't accurate. At all. Not designed to be.

You need an IO device (capture card) and an HDTV or broadcast monitor. No way around this. Decklink Intensity Pro and HDTV will be your cheapest bet.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael CinquinRe: Proper Monitor Color Calibration settings?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 4:29:55 pm

It's true : by default, Color's computer window is vastly inaccurate. I have measured how off the colors sent by Color are, using a hardware scope, here.

But I have also built Charbon-Studio Color profile, an icc profile that make Color send accurate Color to the computer monitor (that is the same colors it would send via the video output). The point is not to turn a cheap monitor into a reference monitor (that is impossible), it is to work with real-time playback possibilities, without the video output.
The profile is on sale on the same page.

Unfortunately, Charbon-Studio Color profiles are not compatible with software-based calibration, because all the software calibration work by putting a lut (Video Card Gamma Table) inside an icc-profile, and you can only use 1 icc profile at a time.

Michael Cinquin

Final Cut Pro - Avid Media Composer editor
DaVinci - Color - Baselight colorist
Color profiles for Color
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools : tools for FCP | Color | RED | subtitles | Cinema Tools | Timecode - Keycode calculator

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WigglesRe: Proper Monitor Color Calibration settings?
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:31:38 pm

White level depends on the monitor type, capabilities, and viewing environment.

Assuming this is not a CRT, any LCD monitor will have a maximum peak white that you basically want to maximize unless it is simply too bright. To maximize the display's CR, you want the white level up as high as possible below the point of colorshifting or clipping.

Appropriate white level luminance depends on too many things to state a universal target, and attempting to hit an arbitrary target without understanding your display and particular viewing environment is a recipe for causing more trouble.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ShawRe: Proper Monitor Color Calibration settings?
by on Mar 27, 2011 at 7:34:29 am

For accurate colour management you need a real 3D LUT based calibration setup.

But, to answer your question the target brightness is defined by SMPTE as 120cm/m2, but actually 80cd/m2 is used in real post-production facilities as historically 120 causes problems with CRT displays.

Light Illusion is a professional colour management consultancy, and we use 80cd/m2 as a target for all calibrations we do for TV work - 14FtL for film based grading (DI work).

Lots more information on the Light Illusion website - http://www.lightillusion.com.

A problem with ICC based calibration is that the ICC profiles used for display calibration are 1D only, so cannot control gamut (saturation) and all PC style monitors have very poor gamut accuracy.

Also, any calibration LUT or ICC profile is only of use for the actual monitor it was generated for - they are not transferable as all displays are different.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION
steve@lightillusion.com
+44 (0)7765 400 908
http://www.lightillusion.com

LUTs, CUBEs + GAMMA CURVEs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS