Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

QT to DPX via Color

COW Forums : Apple Color

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Drew LahatQT to DPX via Color
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:06:21 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to export a QT FCP sequence (DVCPRO HD) to DPX, and heard some dark rumors that Color could do the trick.

Color's manual has this to say:
"If your project media is in the QuickTime format, but you want to output a series of Cineon or DPX image sequences, you can do this conversion as well. "

However that's where they stop. Like most online discussions, you only find information on how to convert from DPX.

A blank Color project can render in DPX, but when importing a sequence (XML) from FCP, the "render file type" is locked to Quicktime.

Any ideas? (besides "get GlueTools!")
I have v1.0.4.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: QT to DPX via Color
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:51:12 pm

It might depend on your version, I'm on 1.5 but generally I have the DPX and Cineon options available as Render File types. But yeah not to be an I told you so but if you're working with DPXs as more than an input format and more often than once you really do need Glue Tools.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: QT to DPX via Color
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:19:49 pm

You will need to export your project as a quicktime, create a new Color project, import it, then set the render type to DPX.

All this is in the Color manual, but not in one place. So when I say to read the manual, I really mean all of it.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Edber MamisaoRe: QT to DPX via Color
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:33:33 pm

Arnie is mostly correct but one thing that needs to be clarified is that you must create your DPX settings in your project BEFORE you import the file. If you do this afterwards, it will be grayed out. The same goes for frame rates...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

brett stumppRe: QT to DPX via Color
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:35:14 am

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to color, and do all my work on the pc side of the fence, so please bear with my ignorance. Am I correct that If you set up color to render out dpx files, then import quicktime files into the project and grade? Then you can export dpx files directly out of color? Would you still import the quicktime timeline from final cut pro, or would you use an edl, and import directly into color? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]