Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

RED bug: randomly bad clips

COW Forums : Apple Color

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Blase TheodoreRED bug: randomly bad clips
by on Apr 28, 2009 at 3:12:57 am

I'm doing another RED project (a lot of them these days?) and ran into a problem where certain clips aren't connecting on the Color timeline. The clips appear as online, but when you scrub or play over them, you're just seeing frames from the image buffer recycled. About 30% of my properly prepped timeline is bad.

If I select just one of the clips in FCP, create a master clip of it, put it into a new timeline and send it to color (or export as XML), it still is bad. If I mess with in/outs of clip, still bad. If I take the timeline, MM offline it in FCP, then re-online it and try to re-send, still bad.

The bad clips themselves seem to be ok. FCP plays them fine, and I can import their source R3d directly into Color just fine. The directory structure of bad clips is identical to good clips.

Anyone seen this?

Blase Theodore

When I don't understand something in Color, I have faith that everything in life happens for a reason. Then I trash preferences.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Uli PlankRe: RED bug: randomly bad clips
by on Apr 28, 2009 at 7:45:10 am

Are these spanned clips (i.e. larger than 2GB) ? Are you editing proxies instead of using L&T?

If both answers are "yes", get Colorfixer from Hans-Georg Daun (free) !

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Blase TheodoreRe: RED bug: randomly bad clips
by on Apr 28, 2009 at 10:56:28 am

Wow, thank you Uli. Colorfixer was the solution.

Blase Theodore

When I don't understand something in Color, I have faith that everything in life happens for a reason. Then I trash preferences.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2009 at 2:16:14 pm

My pleasure!

One of my students ran into the same problem recently…

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe MurrayRe: RED bug: randomly bad clips
by on May 1, 2009 at 3:03:32 am

I've been having the same issues. Glad to find this thread.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: RED bug: randomly bad clips
by on May 1, 2009 at 5:53:34 am

I'm in reconnect hell.

Log & Transfer doesn't reconnect because I suspect the Assist was doing the ProRes renders in one of the RED applications rather than Log&Transfer. So that old dog will officially not hunt.

Clipfinder doesn't replace the mov with the r3D... I think because there is a naming violation where some extra text has been added in the original N###C###xyzetc file/path name....

Reconnecting manually does actually work.. but looking like 5000 or so mouse clicks unless somebody here has a better idea....'

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 1, 2009 at 6:26:55 am

Whast about correcting the path name and changing it in the XMLs with search and replace?

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: RED bug: randomly bad clips
by on May 1, 2009 at 3:59:19 pm

I successfully imported the XML into Clipfinder and was able to populate the media list... but "replace" mov with the R3D doesn't seem to do anything.... the r3d's don't match perfectly, perhaps because they aren't the RED P,M,H or F proxies?

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe MurrayRe: RED bug: randomly bad clips
by on May 1, 2009 at 4:19:39 pm

[Joseph Owens] "I successfully imported the XML into Clipfinder and was able to populate the media list... but "replace" mov with the R3D doesn't seem to do anything.... the r3d's don't match perfectly, perhaps because they aren't the RED P,M,H or F proxies?"

Had similar issue today...FCP just completely lost contact with the Red proxies when trying to reconnect. And my grades in Color are not sticking to certain clips. I set up a grade, scroll down to another clip, come back and the grade has disappeared. Separated the offending clips into a brand new Color project and they work there, but it gets real tricky keeping track of all these little projects with problem clips, and impossible to grade them in the context of the spot, when I have to render and send back to FCP before viewing.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]