Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE ULTRA:HomeAdobe Ultra ForumAdobe Ultra TutorialsAdobe Ultra

welcome back Ultra

COW Forums : Adobe ULTRA

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tim Kolbwelcome back Ultra
by on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:59:32 am

For those of you suffering from withdrawal...

PPro CS5 has a new effect in the stable...and it's called Ultra.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysRe: welcome back Ultra
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 11:16:38 pm

Cool! It's about time. Thanks Adobe! Tim, do you know if it will be a regular plugin that can be used on several tracks on the timeline at once? Adobe's site is not clear on this new feature. Danny Hays

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: welcome back Ultra
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 11:36:36 pm

It's in the effects inventory...just like any effect.

You can apply it right on the timeline.

I think there will be some happy users out there.

HOWEVER, I believe that there's been no mention of virtual sets at the present time...I have no idea what's planned for later.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysRe: welcome back Ultra
by on Apr 21, 2010 at 1:27:37 am

That's OK about the virtual sets. You can use the .png files in any NLE from the old virtual sets. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the info Tim, and your right, Alot of people will be happy to hear this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ed DriscollRe: welcome back Ultra
by on May 3, 2010 at 11:59:29 pm

I'm just in the process of downloading Production Premium CS5, and looking forward to seeing the spiffy new version of Ultra built in. While, as Danny writes, "You can use the .png files in any NLE from the old virtual sets", any thoughts on how the animated shots with simulated dolly-in effects that accompanied many of the virtual sets can be integrated in the new built-in version of Ultra?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysDolly shots
by on May 10, 2010 at 4:39:40 pm

You can't use the dolly simulated pan and zoom features from Ultra in PPRO, but there's only a few of them and I'd hate to have made a video, and then see the same one used in someone elses video. I'ts a cool feature from the original Ultra but I personally wouldn't use them for that reason. You can still keyframe in some pan and zoom in your videos and still stay unique.
As Tim says, it's in Premeire, not AE. But Unless your green screen is terribly lit and wrinkled, keylight can get great results in AE and the virtual camera and lights that cast shadows in Keylight, you can get a more realistic key with that pluggin, although the learning curve is considerably higher, Videocopilot with Andrew Kramer has a very good video tutorial on keylight and shadows for full body shots. But if your feet arent in the shot, you can get good keys without ever leaving your NLE now tht Ultra in in Premiere.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kim SegelRe: welcome back Ultra
by on May 10, 2010 at 2:53:34 am

Hi,

Not to sound like rube but... where is Ultra?

I don't see a stand alone app (like the old Ultra) and I don't see a keyer in AE called Ultra.

(I'm running CS5 under Win7)

Thanks,

Kim

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

--Emo Philips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2010 at 12:59:08 pm

[Kim Segel] "Not to sound like rube but... where is Ultra?"

It's in PPro.

I think that Keylight will continue to be flagship keyer in AE...as nice as Ultra is, Keyight's toolset is extensive.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kim SegelRe: welcome back Ultra
by on May 11, 2010 at 1:52:11 am

Thanks Tim! ...found it.

It seems a little odd not to include it in AE. It's great that it's in PP.

One of my favorite tricks when pulling those "difficult" keys is to try the plate with each of the different keyers, see which one gets the best "one click" results, and then start tweaking from there.

Maybe in the next rev they will include it in AE too.

I loved the old stand-alone Ultra with all the virtual sets!

Kim

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing. --Emo Philips

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sylvia PorterRe: welcome back Ultra
by on May 30, 2010 at 4:04:03 am

I've compared the CS5 version and the CS3 version and have to say I've gotten cleaner keys with CS5's. Also, you can use CS5's with other keyers to clean up your keys. And you can crop and stitch keys together when you have uneven backgrounds. And with dynamic link I've even used keylight and ultra on the same clips to clean up keys that ultra couldn't handle alone.

This is not to say that ultra isn't excellent. But I don't just key green and blue screens. Sometimes we'll see a piece of footage that we shot a few years ago and want to extract something and roto is not always the best option...in fact keying usually is. And ultra has really helped this workflow.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith PriceRe: welcome back Ultra
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 2:22:01 am

One thing from the old Ultra that seems to be missing in CS5 is the ability to grab your settings from the green screen with no foreground (talent). That made it possible for Ultra to figure out all the shades of the green screen and set the settings, automatically.

Doesn't appear that CS5 has that, yes?

Am I the only one who misses that?

BTW, I tried Keylight and wasn't able to get as clean of a key as in Ultra. Is that just because I don't understand the settings well enough?

Finally, are there any good tutorials on how to get the most out of Ultra and Keylight? I've viewed the VideoCoPilot one and it didn't really cover the fine tuning.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John towsenRe: welcome back Ultra
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:50:10 pm

Does Ultra let you do live keying or at least offer a preview of what you might get?? Can I see my subject against a background in another layer while shooting?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:15:24 pm

It's an effect inside Premiere Pro now...no longer a separate application.

So...unfortunately, no. The preview you mention was only available from a FireWire input, so most of us with HDSDI or HDMI would be out of luck in the HD era anyway.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John towsenRe: welcome back Ultra
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:48:40 pm

Thanks.

I have the firewire connection but can't find anything fore the Mac to do this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]