Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE ONLOCATION:HomeAdobe OnLocation ForumAdobe OnLocation TutorialsAdobe OnLocation

Live ChromaKey

COW Forums : Adobe OnLocation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John BrookhouseLive ChromaKey
by on May 29, 2009 at 12:11:20 am

I've been asked by a non-profit to help them out with an event where they want to do something kind of fun. They are calling it "Doggy Idol" and would like to make use of video for the event. What we planned was to do dog "auditions" using a green screen.

I currently shoot with a Sony HVR-HD1000U and use Premiere Pro on Windows to do my editing. I have small and green screens that I can use.

So here's my question: How can I do a live green screen output so that people can see the effect right away? I have no problem shooting the pets on the green screen and then adding the background in post-production, but I think people would really get a kick out of seeing what it is going to look like right off the bat. If it can be done I would probably run HDMI from my camera to my laptop and then output to a DLP projector for all to see. I would also want to capture directly to disk (which I've never done) so that I can give people a copy later on if they want it.

I know that CS3 had Ultra but I use CS4 and it's no longer a part of the program (because Adobe is greedy and want you to pay for Visual Communicator). I also learned about Veescope but it doesn't work with Windows.

Any thoughts as to how I can make this happen? I know I could buy Visual Communicator, but I'm doing this for free and I don't know that it's worth the cost for something I may never use again.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!!

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysRe: Live ChromaKey
by on Jun 7, 2009 at 12:16:44 am

Ultra will give you a live preview with DV firewire, not HDV. There is a small bit of latency just like when you capture from a firewire camera in any firewire capture software. Then you can go VGA to your projector unless you computer has HDMI. Danny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John BrookhouseRe: Live ChromaKey
by on Jun 8, 2009 at 4:19:21 pm

Danny,

Thanks for the information. I actually decided to try out Visual Communicator and it worked pretty well. Everyone thought it was hilarious to watch their dogs go on a world tour. I will probably do a trial of Ultra as well to see if one works better than the other.

Thanks again!

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: Live ChromaKey
by on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:18:02 am

[John Brookhouse] "
I know that CS3 had Ultra but I use CS4 and it's no longer a part of the program (because Adobe is greedy and want you to pay for Visual Communicator). I also learned about Veescope but it doesn't work with Windows."

Let's keep in mind that Serious Magic made no Mac sofware...all the apps have had to be reworked for cross platform use...not everything is easy to port. Audition looks like it will stay PC, which works for me, but i know that SoundBooth was developed to be cross-platform, and it will likely be the source of Audition's replacement some day (thogh I'm in no hurry to switch frankly.)

Ultra may not have been portable...Keylight in AE offers superior control...lots of reasons to not spread development resources too thin.

I believe that anyone who tries the keyer in Premiere Elements will be rather amazed though...

:-)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]