Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Use iPod as a boot bak for MacBook Pro?

COW Forums : Apple iPod

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
GaryAlanUse iPod as a boot bak for MacBook Pro?
by on Mar 2, 2007 at 8:32:51 pm

I have an iPod 80GB and a Mac Book Pro Duo 17". I know I can easily drag and rop files onto the iPod. I have used Super Duper to make a boot image on a large 3.5" firewire drive, but I was wanting to make an image on the iPod as a safety bak boot while traveling on the road.

My question is, can I partition my iPod 80 GB into a 30 GB and a 50 GB and use the 30 GB for my boot bak image? I would assume everything on the iPod gets erased during the creation of the new partitions. What happens to all my music I now have on the iPod? Is the iPod formatted someway in particular for the music and the directory or can I just use iTunes to reinstall all my music back to the iPod in the 50 GB partition?

Gary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: Use iPod as a boot bak for MacBook Pro?
by on Mar 7, 2007 at 12:05:27 am

[GaryAlan] "Is the iPod formatted someway in particular for the music and it's directory or can I just use iTunes to reinstall all my music back to the iPod in the 50 GB partition?"

There is no special formatting. Its just a regular MacOS Extended volume (on Mac formatted iPods). The music is "invisible" because the music folder has a "." in front of it. Many third party programs can access the music on an iPod.

So yes. You can partition an iPod. Just reload your music when you are done.

This product might also be of interest to you

http://www.subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa...

Power Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz
2.5GB RAM
FCP 5.1.2
DVDSP 4.1
Compressor 2.3
Live Type 2.1
Soundtrack Pro 1.1
MacOSX 10.4.6
Quicktime 7.1.3
Kona 2 (3.1 driver)
Huge Systems MediaVault 400GB
ATTO UL3D