Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tom FazzioHD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:03:14 pm

I need to live encode (windows media, flash, etc) in a laptop or small-form PC. I plan to have HD-SDI and am looking for ideas to get that into the computer.

I found the $5,000 HD-SDI to HDV mini-box converter but that is too expensive. Any $1,000 models out there?

Or, any other way to get HD-SDI into the laptop/computer?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:05:22 pm

I hope you don't need good video quality. Or high-definition.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom FazzioRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:07:09 pm

Not for now, hence the conversion down. The HD-SDI is the only available output from the switcher.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WardRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Jan 9, 2009 at 8:40:45 pm

1. Switch over to SDI for the switcher output, if you can, then capture.
2. Try running through a VTR for down-conversion, then capture.
3. Don't use a laptop. You'll spend $2500 to get HD-SDI into it. You can do it for $395 with the new Blackmagic Design DeckLink SDI card if you have a PC or Intel-Mac with PCIe slots.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Jan 10, 2009 at 1:05:19 am

If the damn Blackmagic Video Recorder would be available, you would have a $199 solution. They showed this at NAB 2008. I don't know what the issue is, but it's SDI to USB and does real time h.264 encoding.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick RightonRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Jan 11, 2009 at 12:31:47 am

What about the AJA IOHD or MOTU V4HD FireWire Video Interface. They can be had for 2600.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Jan 12, 2009 at 11:16:47 pm

Nick -
these are not h.264 encoders for the web. They are video capture products.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2009 at 12:01:35 am

He just mentioned ways to ingest HDSDI into a laptop. Both these products do that. Apparently I missed the whole H264 web casting part of this conversation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2009 at 12:23:39 am

Oops,

I may have responded to your post which does mention H264 encoding. I meant to respond to the original poster.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff MackRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Feb 1, 2009 at 3:04:27 am

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby,

The IOHD + Wirecast is a perfect solution albeit more than a $1000 and less than $5000. What I am confused with though is why HD SDI to HDV? Is the source greater than HDV Tom? If it is HDV and you can go firewire to Wirecast, you are about $550.

Jeff Mack

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom FazzioRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Feb 3, 2009 at 9:17:54 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try to explain a little more detail.

The point of the project is two-fold: 1. use HD-SDI equipment as a pilot for a much larger project, and 2. provide live webcast (at a decent quality but not full HD) of multicamera events.

Right now, I use Windows Media to stream NTSC signal. I thought I would be able to convert HD-SDI to HDV and stream with Flash Encoder. Turns out HDV is not something that either WME or FME want to handle (will Wirecast injest HDV for a stream?)

So, is there a small-PCI card for HD-SDI and some software that will encode live to a viewable speed/size? Or is there software that will live encode i.Link from a Sony PMW-EX30 for the stream?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff MackRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Feb 3, 2009 at 10:13:43 pm

Wirecast on a mac will work. If you bring in HDV, you will need the HDV plugin. If you're on a mac, Matrox MXO2 will take your HDSDI signal into wirecast and so wil the AJA IOHD but if you are live switching your switcher can send the HD SDI stream to either or you can downconvert from your switcher. Tri Caster does it all but not $1000.

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hank HazelwizykRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:51:32 pm

Hello Tom,
i'm nerly in a same situation, we got an Hd-Sdi Signal and want to Stream it via Flash Media Live Encoder in a lower resolution, and if it's possible we want to encode two signals with two cards in one Mashine.

Have you testet the DeckLink SDI Card with the Flash Live Encoder yet? I think this card can downscale the Hd signal on the card, so FMLE don't have to do the job.
There are serveral postings on the net regarding this problem i.e. http://adobeforums.adobe.com/message/769828#769828 but in the end they are not very helpfull.

My fallback soulutions are to downscale the Hd-Sdi Signal with something like the Teranex Mini, don't know the price, and then capture with an Sdi Card i.e.

Darim - VT210, supports FMLE, embedded audio, € 850,-
Pixel Magic Systems - SDI Capture Card, supports WDM driver, no embedded audio $ 240,-

would be nice to hear if you got something working,
Hank

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WardRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Mar 24, 2009 at 9:42:15 pm

Set aside/build a decent PC--doesn't have to be suped-up, but needs PCIe--and put an Osprey-700e HD card in it and go. Add their Simul-stream software to it, and you have multiple-streams. Under $5000.

http://www.viewcast.com/product_osprey700e.asp

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John BroadheadRe: HD-SDI to 1394 (laptop) encoder (EDIROL VC-50HD)
by on Jun 12, 2009 at 11:01:42 pm

Not sure if you solved your capture goals yet but just wanted to share that we just came out with the EDIROL VC-50HD ($3795 List) that could fit the bill.
http://www.edirol.com/vc50hd
It's a portable, battery-powered SDI to 1394 video field converter.

It provides bi-directional conversion between SD/HD-SDI to/from DV, HDV as well as 35Mbps and 50Mbps MPEG-2 TS (basically XDCAM HD). The unit also supports lower bit rates including 8Mbps as well as 2, 9 and 12Mbps when using with SD sources.

So you'll be able to use the VC-50HD stand-alone with your PC/Mac to capture from SDI sources using OnLocation, Scopebox or even Quicktime Pro (Mac). Or if you want super portable - connect to one of the EDIROL F-1 Video Field Recorders (http://www.edirol.com/f1).

Essentially the VC-50HD was created to help SDI cameras to get the same or better results than the camera can get through firewire.
Perhaps as a backup or even as a primary capture mechanism.

As well for those cameras that don’t have any recording ability... SDI camera heads used in all sorts of applications - like the Iconix Video etc..( http://www.iconixvideo.com/).

If you want something that can also do scaling, frame rate conversion and other adjustments, check out the EDIROL VC-300HD Multi-format Video Convertor (http://www.edirol.com/vc300hd).

Hope that helps,
John Broadhead
Roland Systems Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike BaronRe: HD-SDI to computer encode (HDV, small PCI)?
by on Apr 24, 2011 at 8:25:15 pm

we are a reseller of device called cube and we use there HD/SDI to connect to laptop true Wifi or Eternet we get the feed to the laptop and stream it true our proprietary video delivery protocol using 4G,3G,
WiFi,LAN,Broadband and stream full HD 1080P/60 to the web or to a dedicated decoder you can find out more information at our website http://www.veduto.com you can call me for more info at 310-571-5817 ask for mike

Thank You

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]