Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

podcasting basic set up

COW Forums : Podcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
david Hartmanpodcasting basic set up
by on May 30, 2012 at 9:01:20 pm

Hi, im planning on doing video games lets plays along with podcasting on the side and im wondering what kind of audio set up I should go with. I have a zoom h4n and a xlr mic. so im thinking of going the xlr route, so I know I need a mixer at least. What im looking for is some thing that can take up to 4 mic in total maybe 2 more for extra stuff (computer, mics ect.). I know when your doing a podcast you wear headphones to hear others and your self, I think you need a headphone extender as well.

On a side note is there a way to take the sound from the tv and mix it with the audio from the tv and feed it to the headphones. Like say we have player 1 and player 2 both wearing headphones and with there own tv, is there a way for player 1 to hear his tv and hear player 2 talking but not hear player 2 tv? The only way I can think of is that each person has a 2 ch mixer for their own head phones.

In the end im looking for a good average mixer and headphone ch expander, if some one can make a recommendation that would be great. I am on a budget but if I have to spend a little more for quality, that’s fine. Let me know if you have any questions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: podcasting basic set up
by on May 30, 2012 at 11:08:42 pm

You can get the sound from you TV or iPod using RCA cables. Any decent mixer will have RCA inputs, so you don't have to sacrifice any mic channels.

I'll go with big condenser mics, the quality is better and you have more room to move around without changes in volume. But they are expensive. If you are intended to play games wile recording, you may use lavaliers or a headset mic.

I don't know your budget, but I suggest to get the best mics you can afford.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david HartmanRe: podcasting basic set up
by on May 31, 2012 at 12:00:32 am

ok thanks for the advice, is there a brand of mixer you would recommend, and my budget is about $50 to 100

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: podcasting basic set up
by on May 31, 2012 at 4:47:00 am

I say look for features that you use, not brand. Some mixers come with effects that may or may not be helpful to you, like echoes, compressors, etc. Some of these features are music-targeted so you may not need them in a podcast.

You may want to get a digital mixer if you'll be recording in your computer, but if you already have an audio input that does that job (like an Mbox, not the small mic input) you can do the trick with an analog mixer.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]