Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Change image sequence range AFTER it's imported?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David SaberChange image sequence range AFTER it's imported?
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 10:11:37 pm

Hi all,
In Vegas 1, Project Media window, I have an image sequence that goes from frame 1 to frame 200.
Now, I want this image sequence to be only from 1 to 50.
How can I modify its range?
Thanks,
David

http://www.davidsaber.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Change image sequence range AFTER it's imported?
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 1:17:36 am

Change the value in the "Open still image sequence" box.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BelterRe: Change image sequence range AFTER it's imported?
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:17:37 am

in vegas 1, yeah, right... :)
geez man??? drop it on your timeline and cut off 150 frames
or
open it in trimmer select 50 frames and create subclip
and first of all click on '?' - it opens help
all the best :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David SaberRe: Change image sequence range AFTER it's imported?
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 8:32:45 am

Hi!
Heheh, sorry for the typo, of course I'm not using Vegas 1, but Vegas 11 :)
My concern is to free my hard drive and make some free space. With all these very big frames I have (6.5Mb each), I want to archive the entire sequence and leave on the hard drive only what is used in Vegas.
So far, I have found 3 ways to do this, but none of them are satisfactory:

1) right click on the media in "Project Media" > replace > choose the same sequence with a start and end frame as set in the timeline. The problem with this method is that, if in the timeline, the sequence wasn't starting by frame 1, "replace" will offset the timeline's start frame.

2)"drop it on your timeline and cut off 150 frames". Problem: if I then delete the 150 frames from my hard drive, on the next file opening, Vegas will ask me where are the missing 150 frames.

3) "open it in trimmer select 50 frames and create subclip". Problem: I can't delete the "master clip" and its unnecessary frames on the hard drive.

So far, the best solution is N°1, then delete the clip from the timeline and drag it again from the Project Media window to the timeline, then set it up again.
But I think Sony should add a more direct way to do that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2012 at 9:54:11 am

holy smokes maaaan... 6.5 mb for a frame? if you need help i firstly advise you should always be precise in asking. You said you wanted to change the range of the sequence but now it comes out that you want to save the disc space. that something completely different and needs totally different approach.

if you want to save the space, don't even touch vegas. take photoshop or any graphic files viewer that is able to process files in a batch. input your sequence and convert it to smaller resolution and different format. i suggest png. if you don't pan or crop in your video project your resolution may be the same as that project has.

what are you using as your input, bmp? tga? tiff?
switch to png, cut the reso. no worries no one would see any difference. in fact there is no difference, when you input big files, vegas is changing their resolution and compresses them. if you make them smaller in the beginning, you save some time in rendering and save space on your input files. and that is what you wanted, isn't it?
:)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David SaberRe: Change image sequence range AFTER it's imported?
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 12:38:32 pm

Hi Paul
Yes I want to change the range of the sequence in order to save disc space.
The final video will be in 3 sizes: 1080p, 720p and 480p.
So the source frames should be at 1920 x 1080 pixels, they should not be at a lower size and then upscaled by Vegas.
The source frames are rendered from a 3D software.
The source frames are targa images.
The source frames should not be compressed, or if they are compressed, it should be a lossless compression. Both PNG and Targa offer lossless compression. I have not tested which format would occupy the less hard drive space, it's something I should try for my next renderings.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Change image sequence range AFTER it's imported?
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 12:52:12 pm

[David Saber] "Yes I want to change the range of the sequence in order to save disc space."

I'm sorry but in this day and age of ridiculously cheap hard drives, it makes no sense not to save the original images.
Then you can do anything with them that you want.

As far as changing the sequence range, the screenshot I posted shows you how to do that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2012 at 1:09:42 pm

all your questions have already been answered. it's time for your action now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]