Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

File size too large for DVD burning

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Benjamin DavisFile size too large for DVD burning
by on May 3, 2012 at 4:29:03 pm

hello, my name is Ben Davis and I am in the finishing stages of completing my first documentary which is 1.03 hours long. I filmed the project with a song NEX at 1920x1080 60i AVCHD format. To edit I used Sony Vegas 11. When I go to the make movie>burn to DVD it says the estimated file size is 5.03 gigs. My problem is I am having a difficult time finding DVDs larger than 4.5 gigs. Is there anyway to compress the file to make it fit? Or if anyone knows where I can find larger DVDs and could send me a link I would really appreciate it. And if anyone has any tips for how to render such a long project without it taking 7 hours and would like to give some advice that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: File size too large for DVD burning
by on May 3, 2012 at 4:42:45 pm

" Is there anyway to compress the file to make it fit?"

No there isn't. My experience has been that that option only works for projects up to one hour long.

"And if anyone has any tips for how to render such a long project without it taking 7 hours and would like to give some advice that would be greatly appreciated as well."

I only use this option for small student projects.
Anything longer or projects I do are encoded (rendered) from Vegas and properly authored in DVDA as I get MUCH better quality this way.
Unless your computer is old and slow or you're using a lot of FX, there's no way a 1 hr. project should take 7 hr. to render.

"Or if anyone knows where I can find larger DVDs and could send me a link I would really appreciate it."

The only DVD bigger than normal is a 2-layer disc and I don't think that option supports dual-layer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Benjamin DavisRe: File size too large for DVD burning
by on May 4, 2012 at 12:30:13 am

Mike, thank you for answering so quickly. I run Vegas on 1 year old Dell Inspiron using Windows 7 so I believe that shouldn't be the issue. I think I have about 3 plug-ins for each clip. Does that sound like to much perhaps? Also do you have a recommendation for which file type I should render if I plan to use DVDA?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: File size too large for DVD burning
by on May 4, 2012 at 12:56:42 am

Benjamin, without knowing your CPU or what type of FX you're applying, it's really hard to say.
Having said that, my previous computers have dealt with more than that from an FX standpoint.
As long as you're OK with longer render times, it's no problem.
As far as a file type, DVDA prefers MPEG-2 and AC-3 files.
Make sure both have the same name and are in the same folder.
That way, when you load the video file into DVDA, the audio will automatically follow.
My rule of thumb is that if the video is less than 70 min. long, I use a custom CBR (Constant Bit Rate) of 8,000,000
Anything longer and I use the bitrate calculator found at http://www.johncline.com/bitcalc110.zip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Benjamin DavisRe: File size too large for DVD burning
by on May 4, 2012 at 5:58:44 pm

Ok, great. I will try rendering with those settings. Thanks for your time Mike.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]