Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Al BergsteinHD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 3:18:17 pm

Odd situation happening, hasn't before. I shoot HD footage, standard project settings for that. Renders to HD quality just fine. I needed for sake of internet streaming, to try and render the project in SD so it is smaller, and downloads with less lag.

I have not rendered SD in Vegas 11 since I started using it. But SD render worked fine for me in 10.

Now every time I render SD from HD, and set it for widescreen or "stretch" (to eliminate the black bands on top and bottom) I get a green vertical bar running up the right hand side of the output. Not there on the project screen or when I view it in the viewer. So it is an render setting issue, I assume. I have successfully managed to render to SD if I use standard SD meaning a rectangular box is the output format. 4:3 if I remember right.

Has anyone got a clue what could be causing this in my settings? I'm willing to think I could have inadvertently changed a setting. But I have looked and all looks , "normal"

It happens at all SD rendering options if I choose to stretch the footage.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Al BergsteinRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Jan 13, 2012 at 5:37:15 am

Since no one has figured this out, Here's what it looks like.

This does not show up when I render in standard SD (with letterboxing) and does not show up in HD renders. I have compared the two render settings, but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. Anyone seen this? I used to render a lot of SD but never had this happen, but I wasn't using these formats of MXF and AVCHD before.

To be clear, this runs through the whole render. Not just this one frame.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian DonnellRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Mar 11, 2012 at 11:29:47 pm

I'm getting this same green bar on the R-hand side of my renders with Vegas Pro v11.0 (Build 595) 64 bit on Windows System 7. This is on a fairly new project and I've seen it on another previous project.

I'll have to start testing to see if it's format related but I *think* I've seen this in MP4 renders.

I know other people are seeing this odd artifact. Has anyone found a solution or workaround?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas.

Brian

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:04:01 am

not yet. No.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mark mccormackRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 10:59:58 am

Had the same problem, so i changed every setting until I found one that worked. I changed the pixels to custom setting 556 X 480 and all is OK. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 2:59:00 pm

Thanks for this info Mark. I'll go back and see if it helps get it right. I've not experienced it since using this particular footage.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andy abulafiaRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on May 25, 2012 at 12:48:48 pm

In fact, every single render I do using UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE option does this.

Did anyone solve this?

Interestingly, the same video when rendered and THEN uploaded does not suffer.

I am wondering if this is a recent issue, 2 patches ago this was not happening for me...

I guess I *could* revert back to verify my last sentence :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:58:52 pm

Just rendered out another set of videos, and yes, the green line is still there (after upgrading Vegas yet again). It is ONLY showing up on 480 SD MP4 widescreen renders. So I suspect a bug with the software. I can render the same footage in 360 and it doesn't get the green line. I am not using the "Upload for Youtube" add in. Though it is installed on the system. As I can reproduce it at will, I am calling this a bug.

Anyone else seeing this bug?

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rasmus JarborgRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:40:33 pm

Hey

Yes, I also have this buy in Vegas 11 64-bit running on Windows 7. It also appears when I render MainConcept MP4 in 480p. Just like you, it doesn't show up in the preview or editor window but is there when the file is rendered. I've searched the internet high and low but haven't found a solution. This is one of the places where the problem is even mentioned!

A thread over at the Sony forums suggested that you render at 720p to do away with the green bar, but I have rendering size reasons for rendering at 480p (long interviews to be shared with project group through Dropbox).

Ras

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:00:33 pm

For present, all new projects are starting in Pr, and for ones like this, I'm rendering out to XDCAM 4:2:2, moving it to Pr and rendering out in SD there. It comes out just fine. I just don't have the patience anymore to debug these kind of oddities with Vegas.

I did load a fresh copy onto my new Thinkpad, and I'll have to try moving the project there, to see if it's a corrupted version of Vegas on the older machine. The fact that it was fine in the beginning but now is screwed up, along with only some of us experiencing it, means that likely something gets messed up along the line with the application. Just out of curiosity, is your project an older one that you reopened in the new version? Mine was. Of course, the previous version of 11 was overwritten, so I can't see if it worked fine there as well. sigh...

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rasmus JarborgRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:02:37 pm

OK I have the solution:

The issue is that the Vegas profile for MainConcept 480p does not use a multiple of 16 as the width. The standard size is 854 x 480, but 854 is not divisible by 16. If you change the profile to a custom size of 864 x 480 then the green bar will disappear in your renders. Solved!

Your aspect ratio will be 1.2% off a true 16:9 but it's a small price to pay to avoid that annoying green bar!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

andy abulafiaRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:38:25 pm

so for someone just using the simple "upload To Youtube" option... any tips?

----------------------
Vegas 11, Win7, Intel i7 w/12GB RAM - In need of a decent SSD, methinks :-) Sony TG5V, Kodak Zi8, Playtouch.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat KeoughRe: HD footage render to SD results in "green line" on right
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 8:34:50 pm

Thank you. That worked. For some reason, I was also able to get it to render without the Green Bar at 856x480 as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]