Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Velocity Envelope duration

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Diane SosnoskiVelocity Envelope duration
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:10:16 am

I've looked at a lot of posts regarding Velocity Envelopes but I don't understand how it works. In Vegas help it states:
"Each video event in your project has a specific duration that is not changed by velocity envelopes. Therefore, if you decrease the speed of a ten-second video event by 50%, only five seconds of video will be shown. On the other hand, if the speed is increased 200%, the ten seconds of video will play in only five seconds. The remaining five seconds of the event will be filled either with a freeze of the last frame or with ten additional seconds of video content from the media file.

I want to slow mo the entire clip but when I apply the velocity envelop, the duration of the clip, as it states above, does not change. When you slow mo a clip, it should get longer on the timeline. (Rex RT did this easily...)
How do you slow mo the entire clip?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Velocity Envelope duration
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:16:52 am

Unfortunately Vegas doesn't do things like your old NLE.
When you apply a velocity envelope, nothing on the timeline changes as Vegas expects you to know what to do.
If you speed an event up and do nothing, the event will be repeated one or more times.
If you slow a clip down and hit play, you'll only get a portion of the event.
What you need to do is to stretch or shorten the event (depending on what you did) until you see a tiny little V at the top of the timeline.
That means that you're at the end of the event.
If you go too far, go back until you're right on the V.
In the screenshot below, I went past the end of the event so I'd have to drag it backwards.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Diane SosnoskiRe: Velocity Envelope duration
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:48:33 am

OK, got it. The little "V" is very hard to see but easier when I enlarged the time line and knew what to look for.
Thanks Mike!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:47:19 am

You're welcome Diane. Always glad to help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mac McGinnisRe: Velocity Envelope duration
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 8:52:37 pm

Diane,

I had the same question and was just hours away from asking the same thing.

Thanks for asking.

Mac

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Stephen CryeRe: Velocity Envelope duration
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 2:37:54 am

I use the Velocity Envelope in conjunction with clip time compression to get the maximum speed up of 12x. First grab the right side of the clip and hold ctrl while you drag left. That will give you the max of 4x. Then add velocity envelope, move the slider up to the top. Go slow and watch for the little "v"s. When done you will have three Vs.

Here's an important step. Find the left-most V, and expand the view until you can see each frame. As you move the selection point from the left of the v past to the right, the scene will jump from the end to the start! Split the clip and throw away everything to the right. You can now render the clip to a lossless format which you can use later.

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Dec 3, 2011 at 12:19:55 pm

[Stephen Crye] "You can now render the clip to a lossless format which you can use later."

The other thing you can do is to save it as a veg file and import it as needed.
No render time required :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Dec 5, 2011 at 5:08:49 am

[Mike]"The other thing you can do is to save it as a veg file and import it as needed. No render time required :)"

Good point, Mike.

I should have clarified the reason I typically render the clip at that point, is that when I re-use it, I might end up squeezing (or stretching) it again, in order to get it to match up to a transition in a music track. So, if I want to squeeze it again by a factor of four (for a net time-compression of x48), I need a loss-less intermediate clip.

An example here (please excuse the blurriness in the vid, I foolishly had my project set to 1280x720 while rendering the intermediate clips to 1920x1080 - duh. At least I learned what NOT to do!)

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2011 at 12:09:12 pm

Steve, you treat the imported veg file just like a loss-less intermediate (i.e. shorten or drag it as desired) so there's no need to render to any format.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:28:18 pm

Hi Mike;

I'm confused. If I have already squeezed it by 12x, how can I squeeze it more if I don't render it to an intermediate? If I grab the edge and try to shorten it, Vegas will not let me.

And, with a bunch of "raw" 12x squeezed clips in the timeline, rendering a long project is suuuuper slow.

I guess I am missing something. Want to learn!

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 8, 2011 at 12:48:12 am

[Stephen Crye] "If I have already squeezed it by 12x, how can I squeeze it more if I don't render it to an intermediate?"

Save the sped up event as a veg file (let's call it speed-1.veg).
Import speed-1.veg into your project ("nesting" it) and apply the velocity envelope and do the Ctrl+drag think to it.
speed-1.veg was sped up 12X.
Applying these same techniques to it again speeds it up another 12X which means that your original event is now sped up 144X with no need for rendering to an intermediate format.
BTW, to avoid horrible ghosting/frame blending when doing this, I usually right-click the event, choose Properties and select "disable resample".

"And, with a bunch of "raw" 12x squeezed clips in the timeline, rendering a long project is suuuuper slow."

That's the biggest drawback to nesting files so an intermediate may be a better choice. Only you can make that decision.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:40:05 pm

Steve,
Great example velocity envelope synchronized with music and your video is really beautiful! I watched at 360p, small screen so I didn't notice any blurriness. Very impressive footage with such a small camera. I couldn't help wondering toward the end how you kept the lens from fogging when you seemed to be right in the clouds.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:34:47 pm

Thanks, Diane!

I really appreciate taking the time to watch.

Try it at 1080 full-screen (it will take a looongg time to buffer) to fully appreciate the video. Headphones if you don't have speakers. At 1080 you will be able to see the lack of "real" 1080 clarity.

Regarding fog, the cam was already at the ambient temp of the air. Fog usually happens when you take a cold cam into a hotter, humid environment.

As it was, I built a little "tent" for the camera out of a milk crate and some nylon. I ran down the mountain to the Jeep when the big storm nailed me. I sat in the Jeep fretting about the shot I was missing, then I got the idea to build the "tent". I sawed off the front of the crate, tied nylon around it, and set the cam on the ground using a little 6" tripod, then put the crate over the cam and used the LCD in mirror-mode to frame the shot. The last three hours of shooting was under the tent.

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Dec 8, 2011 at 1:44:59 am

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the insight!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS