Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Stabilize Media Issues (Sony Vegas Pro 10)

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Johnathan FosterStabilize Media Issues (Sony Vegas Pro 10)
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:08:32 pm

I just edited some off road footage that a friend of mine shot using his iPhone. The footage was shot in 720p and looks quite good and was easy to work with. The major problem for me was using Stabilize Media to smooth out the shots where he was walking. Some of the shots were very shaky and I wasn't able to save them with the Stabilize tool.

After stabilizing the media several times (not chained) using several options, the video continued to look like it was shot using a webcam from the 90s. Every movement in the video was wobbly and looked as if it was on top of a constant wave.

I have seen the Stabilize feature in After Effects and it is amazing what it can do. Of course Sony Vegas isn't After Effects, but I have seen some amazing usage of Stabilize in Vegas on very shaky shots that turned out wonderful.

Am I doing this wrong? What settings are recommended. Will the collective mind answer my questions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Stabilize Media Issues (Sony Vegas Pro 10)
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:46:56 pm

I would start by stabilizing each scene separately and sometimes even more often than that. It's OK to split an event and just apply the stabilize to a small shaky section, then apply it again to other sections so that each different situation can be stabilized as needed.

If the footage is really shaky you may need to buy the full version of the stabilization that is in Vegas which is proDAD Mercalli. The technology in the full version has more capability that the limited version that ships with Vegas. I show you how to use proDAD Mercalli V2 in this video:

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]