Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

rendering Sony AVCHD .m2ts or .avc?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Colin Andersonrendering Sony AVCHD .m2ts or .avc?
by on Mar 15, 2011 at 7:23:24 am

Hi,

I shot some AVCHD footage with my Sony Handycam HD camcorder. It outputs m2ts files.

After editing in Sony vegas Pro 10, I want to render for Blu-Ray disks. I choose the Sony AVC 1920X1080@60i Blu-Ray template. But in the custom menu I've got 2 options: AVCHD (m2ts) at 16 000 kbps or AVC (.avc) at 20 000 kbps.

Obviously avc at 20 000 produces as larger file but in terms of visual quality, does anybody see a difference between the two? I've tried both but because I have no mean of comparing them, side by side, I can't tell the difference.

I read somewhere that rendering in .avc in Vegas could de-saturate the colors. Again, not sure if I noticed that.

Thank you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: rendering Sony AVCHD .m2ts or .avc?
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 1:41:15 pm

[Colin Anderson] "Obviously avc at 20 000 produces as larger file but in terms of visual quality, does anybody see a difference between the two? I've tried both but because I have no mean of comparing them, side by side, I can't tell the difference. "
Chances are that your AVCHD camera captured 16Mbps video so rendering it to 20Mbps is not going to improve the quality at all. It's still 16Mbps video using 20Mbps to display the same exact quality.

The Blu-ray templates have been set up properly for Blu-ray discs. Modifying them may cause your render to be non-clomplant and it will get re-rendered again when use in DVD Architect to make it compliant. Just use the templates and don't modify them and everything will be as it should.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Colin AndersonRe: rendering Sony AVCHD .m2ts or .avc?
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 7:21:47 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for setting me straight on this question. It's been bugging me for ever. The file Video properties of my footage shows me Data rate and Total bitrate (which number should I care about?). Both are in the range of 16900 to 17340kbps which is slightly higher than 16000kbps. Is that a big enough difference in your opinion? Both .m2ts and .avc renderings produce compliant files when taken into DVDA. Both take around the same amount of time to render. I read somewhere that rendering in video elementary stream (.avc) in Sony Vegas sometimes desaturated the colors. But again, I haven't been able to compare original footage and rendered footage side by side.

By the way, do you know Magix Video Pro X3 ?
It claims to do smart rendering of AVCHD video.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]