Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

can Vegas open mp4 files?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ernesto Maranican Vegas open mp4 files?
by on Jul 10, 2009 at 11:04:27 am

Hi,
I am trying to open an mp4 file with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 but get an error message:
"Warning: An error occurred while opening one or more files. The reason for the error couldn't be determined"
Can you please help me,
Thank you very much

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: can Vegas open mp4 files?
by on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:29:44 pm

Is it a copy-protected file?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniRe: can Vegas open mp4 files?
by on Jul 12, 2009 at 8:52:55 pm

No, it is not copy protected.
I don't know if it's important, but the file weighs almost 4GB.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2009 at 3:12:39 am

I'm never tried to load in a 4 GB file but Vegas Pro can import mp4 files.
Make sure you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2009 at 11:55:24 pm

Mike, thank you very much! The MP4 file finally opened! It's however lagging in a very annoying way. Also all AVIs. Do you know what may be the problem? (By lagging I mean every 2 seconds it gets stuck like for a fraction of a second)
Interestingly, MPEG files play perfectly, no lagging at all!
Thanx again for your help
Ernesto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2009 at 12:14:32 am

Ernesto, you didn't say if you had a powerful computer or not.
Just like MOV files, mp4 files call on QuickTime to do the necessary decoding and this can slow your computer down.

Regular DV-AVI files shouldn't be slow so I have to ask what kind of AVI files these are (eg. DivX, XviD)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:57:00 am

Mike, how can I know what kind of AVIs these are? Where do I look for that info? All the files were downloaded from YouTube and converted to AVI with Mozilla Firefox's DownloadHelper.

Also can you please tell me how can I convert the output to FLV with professional level quality (not with TotalConverter and the like)

I am a beginner so thanx a lot for your patience with my basic questions...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 15, 2009 at 1:47:27 am

"how can I know what kind of AVIs these are?"

GSpot Codec Information Appliance will tell you what type of AVI it is.

"All the files were downloaded from YouTube and converted to AVI with Mozilla Firefox's DownloadHelper."

Like you, I have Firefox but I use the free YouTube downloader available from http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/ as I find it does a better job.
My primary use for it is to convert YouTube videos for my daughters' iPods and it does a great job.

"Also can you please tell me how can I convert the output to FLV with professional level quality"

I don't do any FLV but the software I linked to above has a Video to Flash converter built into it that you can try.

"I am a beginner so thanx a lot for your patience with my basic questions..."

My pleasure.
We were all beginners at one point in time and learned by asking questions so keep on asking and learning :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 15, 2009 at 10:04:10 pm

OK, I run Gspot and it says the following:
File Length correct
AVI v1.0
Interleave: 1 vid frame (167 ms), preload=52
Audio frames: aligned on interleaves
Video: 1.45 mb 74.53%
Audio: 441 kb 22.06%
AVI overhead: 68.0 kb 3.40%

Audio: Codecs installed
Video: Codec: FMP4 Name: FFmpeg/ffdshow ISO mpeg4
Codecs are NOT installed

So I downloaded and installed the codec. But it keeps playing bad in Vegas (and doesn't have any problems in PowerDirector, Windows Media Player, etc. even before I installed the new codec, never had a problem with these files. Only in Vegas they don't run smoothly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2009 at 1:10:10 am

All I can suggest is to use the downloader I linked to earlier.
I just tried dropping a few of the YouTube videos I converted for my kids and they play back just fine in Vegas.
I've got a Q6700 quad core and can play the videos at full frame rate when my Preview Window is set to Good/Full.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2009 at 12:07:04 pm

Hi, Mike
I'll try the downloader you suggested.
Do you think it may be a hardware problem?
I am running Vegas Pro in an HP laptop Pavilion dv6704nr, AMD 64 athlonx2, 169 gb HD (30 gb free), 3GB RAM
Thanks a lot for your help! (The best thing that happened to me from Vegas was discovering this forum!)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 17, 2009 at 12:02:43 am

Ernesto, you're computer should be powerful enough.
I'd strongly recommend buying an external hard drive though as it's not a good idea, especially while editing video, to have all your material on one drive as it can lead to exactly the kinds of problems you're experiencing.
I don't know where you live but here in Canada I can get a 1 TB external drive (USB which is fine) for under $200.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniHow to cancel horizontal black bars in top and bottom
by on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:04:04 pm

Hi, Mike

Thanks a lot for all your help with my question. I bought a 1 TB and connected it first to my desktop computer, then to my laptop. I worked as you suggested. My MP4 files opened smoothly in the desktop and worked great in Vegas. (In my laptop keeps doing the same problems...I am kind of giving up).

Another issue:
I am editing a video file that has a black horizontal bar in the top, and another in the bottom, and the video image in the middle (creating like a widescreen). It was shooted with a very professional camera and I was given an MP4 file (straight from the camera card, if I understood correctly).
Is there a way of cancelling the black bars to obtain a "normal" image?

Thanx a lot
Ernesto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: How to cancel horizontal black bars in top and bottom
by on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:24:30 pm

Ernesto , it sounds like you need to have your project properties match your source video.
To do this, got to File - Properties, click on the Match Media Settings icon (looks like a folder), browse to the folder there your clips are, click on one of them and then click Open.
Once you do this, your project properties will match your source video and hopefull things will look the way they're supposed to.
Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniRe: How to cancel horizontal black bars in top and bottom
by on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:46:29 pm

God bless you!!! It worked great.

This file is a 2 hour conference. I was selecting short segments of it to make a one minute clip, and put everything on the end of the 2 hour timeline. Then I deleted all the two hours, and left only the one minute clip I made. I rendered...and got a 2h 1min file. How do I erase all the two hours so I only have the one minute clip in the project timeline?
(I now see a timeline which is 2 hours empty in the video tracks, has blue horizontal lines in the audio tracks, then I have the one minute clip, then empty again with the blue lines)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 2:35:52 pm

Mike,
I matched the project as you instructed, and it worked great, I could see the bars dissapearing.
Curiously, during the render (I rendered only a selected area), I saw the horizontal bars again. Is there anything else I should do?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:21:44 pm

Make sure your render settings match your source settings.
For example, if your source footage was NYSC DV Widescreen, select this option in your render options.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:55:55 pm

My source file is HDV 1080-50i (1440X1080, 25000 fps), frame rate: 25000 PAL
I can't find this exact rendering option in Vegas. Do you know if it has it?
Does it mean that I won't be able to render without the horizontal black bars?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:03:51 pm

What format do you want to render it out as?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:10:40 pm

Whatever format that will do the job.

I get an MP4 file with the raw material filmed. I edit it in Vegas Pro 9. I need to present the edited movie as a DVD (PAL) with the highest quality possible (without the black horizontal bars).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:50:56 pm

Since it's going to DVD, the only render choice you have is MPEG-2.
Try the DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream MPEG-2 template.
Make sure to select the Stretch video to fill output frame size (do not letterbox) option on the first screen that comes up.
If your total video is under 75 min. long, click the Custom, select Best in the Video rendering quality box, clcik the Video tab, select Constant Bit Rate, change this value to 8,000,000 and click OK.
This takes care of the video.
For the audio, use the Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro option. The default setting is fine here.
Make sure both audio and video have the same name (i.e. mybideo.mpg and myvideo.ac3) and go to the same folder.
That way, when you load the video file into DVD Architect, the audio will automatically follow it.
Hopefully this will work for you.
Good luck with it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniChroma key problem
by on Jul 26, 2009 at 9:15:25 am

Hi Mike,

First of all thank you for all your help with my other questions.

A question regarding chroma key in Vegas Pro 9.0:
In a one minute clip that has chroma key in many parts, I deactivated the chroma key. Suddenly, the chroma key disappeared in all Vegas projects of this clip (previous versions I made).
I can't activate it back, can you please help me
Thank you
Ernesto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniChroma key problem - cont.
by on Jul 26, 2009 at 9:32:33 am

Hi Mike,

This continues my previous post on "chroma key problem".
Now I see that I can't also activate the "tv simulator" effect.
This sounds like a general problem with effects.
Looks like I accidentally disabled something, what do you think?
Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:56:33 pm

Hi Mike,
First of all, thanks so much for helping me with the format, I did the MPEG-2 and it worked smoothly into DVD Architect producing a very nice DVD (2 DVD´s of 1 hour each, so I could get the quality as per your recommendation)!

This week I was requested to transform the output into .flv so it can be uploaded to a website. They requested it to be around 700 mb. Now, the original MPEG-2 in Vegas is around 5 GB, and using the erightsoft´s Super converter it got compressed into 2 GB. Still very large. Is there a way in Vegas that I can render the same file so it´s not so big, and that way, once I compress it I got it around 700 mb?

Thanks a lot
Ernesto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:59:57 pm

Ernesto, I'm very glad to hear that things worked out well for you.
I've never done any flv work so I can't help you out with that.
I'd recommend starting a new thread about dong this here or in the other Vegas forum as I'm sure others have done this and can offer some suggestions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 4, 2009 at 3:53:07 pm

OK, thank you anyway!

Still regarding Vegas: Is there a way to export as 480x270, 16:9? (That´s the format I need to put into the flv compressor)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 4, 2009 at 5:03:25 pm

Ernesto, it's certainly possible but what codec do you need to give to flv for conversion purposes (i.e. AVI, WMV, etc.)?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 4, 2009 at 6:31:14 pm

Mike, I just know the converter uses the H264 codec when encoding to flv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniDVD Architect 5.0 says project too large
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 8:03:00 pm

Dear Mike,

I did as you suggested:
If your total video is under 75 min. long, click the Custom, select Best in the Video rendering quality box, clcik the Video tab, select Constant Bit Rate, change this value to 8,000,000 and click OK.
This takes care of the video.

and I thank you so much, it worked great.

Now I have a project which is 93 minutes long, weighing 5.1GB and DVD Architect says it's too large (I have used the same parameters as above). I reduced the Bit Rate in Architect down to 4000, and still says it's too large. Is there anything I can do in Architect to avoid rendering all over again? If not, would you please kindly suggest how to render it? Will quality decrease seriously while changing the settings?

Thanks a lot again,
Ernesto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: DVD Architect 5.0 says project too large
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 1:21:50 am

"and I thank you so much, it worked great."

Great news Ernesto!!

...DVD Architect says it's too large...

Be advised that DVDA has a long history of not reading file sizes properly :-(
If you've checked the total (mpg & ac-3) files and found that the combination of the two is under the allowable limit, then tell it to go ahead and do it anyway.
What happens is that it proceeds without any more problems :-)

I reduced the Bit Rate in Architect down to 4000...

That's far too low.
Any time my projects are over 70 min. long I use VBR (Variable Bit Rate) settings based on this bitrate calculator and it hasn't failed me yet.
http://www.johncline.com/bitcalc110.zip

93 min. with this calculator gives me a VBR of 7640 / 6112 / 3664 (Max. / Avg. / Min.).

Two cautions for you.
#1. Even if the Max is over 8000, stick to this value as it may cause problems with cheap blank media or cheap DVD players.
#2. I set the Safety Margin to 5% from the default 1% as it gives me added protection.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniRe: DVD Architect 5.0 says project too large
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:15:08 pm

It worked Mike, thank you very much

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: DVD Architect 5.0 says project too large
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:21:31 pm

Great news Ernesto.
I'm very glad to hear that :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniReinstalled Win XP, now render time doubled or tripled
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:42:41 pm

Hi Mike,

A couple of days ago I reformatted my PC and reinstalled Windows XP, Sp3. Then I reinstalled Vegas Pro 9.0 and some other programs, most of which were installed also before the reformat. Everything is working fine, except for the rendering time in Vegas. When I render, it takes 2 to 3 times more than before. And in two days I had 2 render errors (one of them after 6 hours rendering). Prior to reformatting I never had errors in rendering.

I thought a fresh copy of Windows will make my renders faster...I am probably missing something.

I'll appreciate your help with this
Thank you
Ernesto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Reinstalled Win XP, now render time doubled or tripled
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 1:00:36 pm

Then I reinstalled Vegas Pro 9.0 and some other programs, most of which were installed also before the reformat.

What are "some other programs"?
There's a possibility that one or more of them are causing a conflict with Vegas.

I thought a fresh copy of Windows will make my renders faster...I am probably missing something.

Are your project files on a separate drive and are oyu rendering to that drive or drive C?
What's your CPU and how much RAM do you have?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernesto MaraniRe: Reinstalled Win XP, now render time doubled or tripled
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 1:34:25 pm

Are your project files on a separate drive and are oyu rendering to that drive or drive C?

I always used to work on my C hard disk drive. And render times were pretty good.

After the reformat/reinstall I began having all media and the Vegas projects on an external hard drive, 1TB.
And I asked Vegas to save the rendered file also in this external drive. And then all the problems I described happened.

A couple of hours ago I tried moving all media and projects to C:. And re-rendered the file, PERFECT. No problems, rendered perfectly, no extra time.

So does this mean I cannot work directly on the external drive?
And pls another question related to rendering: While rendering, can I open Vegas again in a new window, and work in another project? Will this make the ongoing rendering slower?

My PC Specs
Intel Core2 Quad
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce Series 7
500 GB internal HD, (270 presently free)

Regarding your question about what other programs were installed after Vegas:
Power Director 6
Nero 6
Open Office

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Reinstalled Win XP, now render time doubled or tripled
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:11:47 pm

"So does this mean I cannot work directly on the external drive?"

I use external USB drives and the render time differences are minimal.

Is the drive formatted NTFS or FAT32?
This shouldn't make a speed difference but NTFS is preferred.

My best guess is that drive's Transfer mode may be set to PIO instead of DMA or UDMA.
To check this setting, right-click My Computer and select Manage.
Click Device Manager and then the + sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Under here you should see one or more Primary IDE Channel and one or more Secondary IDE Channel listings.
Typically Primary IDE Channel is your hard drive(s) and Secondary IDE Channel are other devicxes such as CD/DVD drives.
Double-click each one and then the Advanced Settings tab.
The Transfer mode should say DMA if available.
Current Transfer mode (right under this) should say Ultra DMA Mode 5.
If Transfer mode says PIO only, switch it to DMA if available and then click OK.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James LamprechtRe: DVD Architect 5.0 says project too large
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:23:32 am

Folks,

I too have a movie / file I am working with in DVD Architect Pro 5.0 that claims the file is too large. I rendered the movie in Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 (I had to chop it into 8 pieces to render and then bring all 8 back in to render as one again before it worked)and attempted to burn with DVDA Pro 5.0. The movie is 122 minutes long and 6 GB. I'm still a rookie here so apologies in advance but I hit the optimize option I found in a tutorial and it still said file too large. Should I be thinking about getting a dual layer burner at this point?

James L.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Edward TroxelRe: DVD Architect 5.0 says project too large
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:39:43 pm

122 minutes will easily fit on a standard DVD. You just need a lower bitrate. The bad news is that the Movie Studio versions don't give you access to the MPEG2 custom settings (you need the Pro version for that). What format were the original files? If they were DV, just render out to DV, give DVD Architect the DV-AVI file, and it will convert it to MPEG2 for you using the proper bitrate so that it will fit.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:19:48 pm

How do I erase all the two hours so I only have the one minute clip in the project timeline?

Turn on Auto Ripple, double-click the empty area to highlight it and press Delete/
The remaining clip should now be at the beginning.
If there's blank space at the end, repeat the above procedure.
Remember to turn off off Auto Ripple after you do this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

fero feriancikRe: can Vegas open mp4 files
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 9:11:28 am

Hello, I'm new here and this is my situation ->
I need to create a video from parts. I shoted on my friends birthdsday party. I used my Samsung i8910 mobile phone which shot the movie in mp4 (MPEG-4 container) with 1280 * 720 video resolution and AAC 32kHz audio. Usualy this wideo has bit rate about 10 000 bit/s.
And my problem is that I have not idea how to split together in one piece my 35 short (cca 2 minutes long) videos. So I have tried about 5 different programs, (eg. pinnacle studio; Adobe premiere; Ulead video studio; Xilisoft Video Editor - every in trial versions) and this is I thing most suitable for that thing. But I cannot open my videos with Sony Vegas studio Pro 9.0 TRIAL version. Why? Why I couln'd open mp4 with this program? And if you know. How I could do this?
Thanks for any help.
F.

EDIT>
I haven't good english, so I've tried to extract the point of my problem:
Short wersion of question->

How o open movie in *.mp4 (MPEG-4 container) with 1280 * 720 video resolution and AAC 32kHz audio in Sony Vegas studio Pro 9.0 TRIAL version?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Josh RazauskasRe: can Vegas open mp4 files
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:48:50 pm

Hello,

My name's Josh this is my first post here so I'm sorry in replying to this thread instead of starting a new is the incorrect tactic but I am having this exact same issue & was confused by the number of posts as to how to fix it. I have tried reinstalling the codec that did not work & I know that a system restore might but it'd be a total guess as to how far back to take vista (Ultimate 32 bit) as I don't know the exact date the problem began so if anyone knows a way to fix this issue without one that would be great. Here is my problem in full if that helps any.

I've been having this problem for about 3-4 weeks now my Sony Vegas 9.0 Platinum Edition b won't read. mp4 files. At first I just thought it was because my trial version was about to expire and it was having issues which was fine since I love the program and was going to buy it anyway. However since getting my Pro Pack from Amazon.com it has continued. I just checked to make sure my Quicktime player software is updated and it is. Can anyone please help me get Vegas to read.mp4 again. When I first had the trial version it read.mp4 fine but now it has just stopped. My raw footage from my Flip Ultra HD camcorder shoots in .mp4 so if I have to convert my files each time before being able to edit it's going to start eating up my time and become very annoying. Below is a print screen of the error message I keep seeing. Thank you in advance for your help.

vegaserror.jpg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Faisal YaqubRe: can Vegas open mp4 files?
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:45:19 am

Hello. I'm also encountering the same problem on Sony Vegas pro 11. I can't seem to open mp4 files. I have installed the latest QuickTime as suggested but the same message keeps popping up, that an unknown error has occurred.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]