Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Tutorial: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew DevisTutorial: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:21:34 pm

Adobe Premiere Pro basics
Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend TechniquePremiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique

In this tutorial, Andrew Devis shows how to use the filmic blend technique that helps to make video look more like film thus making your final production look much richer. This technique is a must for wedding videotographers.

Tutorial, Video Tutorial   07/09/2012
Author: Andrew Devis

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+5

Milad TangshirRe: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 10:25:13 am

Hello Mr. Devis
My name is Milad Tangshir, I am an Iranian student here in Italy and I am editing my first film now. I must say your tutorials on Premier Pro are priceless. Your teaching process could not get more smooth and pleasing to follow. They mean so much to me, just like being able to follow my dreams. I deeply believe after years they must give you an important award. Because the things you are doing are playing a major part in the upcoming generations of filmmakers; from all over the world, where they don’t afford or find the proper film education. Hats off to you sir.
I got few questions that I would really appreciate if you could find the time to answer to:
1. This is my first experience. (55 mins). The 60% of the footage is HDV 1440x1080 25F. There are also lots of other videos, brolls and footage from interviews and old films in it, obviously with various resolutions and frame rates. The 1st footage I imported was 1280x720, 30f. So this is the resolution of my ONLY sequence which includes my whole film! I know that sounds amateur! So after that I brought in all my other various stuff and for every shot I had to rearrange with motion and position and scale details. Now, I know about nesting and breaking a long project into parts and sequences. Now, if I do it, I have to make sequences (60% of the stuff) in 1440x1080 25f, and I have to rearrange all the shots in the sense of motion, scale and position again. And also I have to make other various types of sequences for various stuff that I have in the timeline. (All with various resolutions).
So do I have to do that or leave it like this? The fact that my complete film sequence is 1280x720 will affect my final result? That’s the most important question I guess. I have to wait for your guidance before I can start nesting and ordering things in there… What’s your advice for my situation now?

2. With fast color corrector, -ALWAYS as a default-, do you prefer to do just the white balance or also the black and gray balances? Or just playing with gamma? I mean as a default way of working…

3. You know for every young filmmaker, getting closer to the film look is a huge objective. So, do you think vignette should be applied on whole project or do you think it’s better to use it here or there as a dramatic effect on few shots? (and the shots that have parts that distract the attention). Do you recommend putting it on whole project?

4. In the film blending technique, do you do this as an alternative to general color correction process? Because in the video tutorial, you work on the raw footage (deleting the mattes and the black video). So it does not seem possible to duplicate the color corrected footage 2-3 times?! Right? If I go for fast color correction, so I cannot do this film blending? and so I will lose that 1 pixel blur that you say helps the look?
Is it either color correction or film blending technique? This is really confusing to me…So when you want to get closer to film look, do you suggest applying this technique on all shots of the film? (55 mins)

5. In this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUddE_A9Jxw) I learned to add to crop of 13% on top and bottom of the image to have the Cinemascope 2.39:1 look. But I did not shot the film with this in mind, do you suggest using it, (I know I have to check and put the important stuff in the shot), but I want to know what is your idea about it? Or any other way that you may know that hurt the picture less…

I am so sorry and ashamed that I wrote so long and asked so many silly long questions, but my film depends on you and how you guide me now…

Thank you very much sir.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew DevisRe: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:05:53 pm

Hi Milad

Thanks for getting in contact, I'm really pleased that the tutorials are proving helpful to you.

With respect to you questions, I can give general answers but you need to bear in mind that different scenarios may require different approaches so I can only give general advice and it may be sensible for you to get in touch with someone who is closer to your project for more specific advice.

1) Please bear in mind that when you create your sequences you are basing them on the footage you have not on what your output will be.. So, if the majority of your footage is HDV make that your primary sequence settings. Then, add footage as needed. Bear in mind that PP will cope with multiple types of footage on the same timeline and as you mentioned you can scales etc.

HOWEVER, scaling is always a problem if you need to go over 110% as it will lead to degradation of the footage. So, if I have that problem I ask myself if I can firstly use the footage as maybe a 'picture in picture' at its original size? And, if not, then I go for a plug-in from someone like BorisFX or Red Giant Software that give me the ability to up-rez an image rather than just scaling the image. These plug-ins aren't very expensive and you may be able to get a student discount if you ask? If have used both and they both work fine however you may also want to use a noise filter at the same time to reduce video noise on any images. I tend to use Neat Video for this because it is really powerful but again BorisFX and Red Giant do good plug-in for this.

So, create a sequence that is the size of the majority of your footage, up-rez images if they need it and slow them down or speed them up as needed for good playback.

Then, worry about the output last of all because you can output to any size at that point.

2) Color correction is such a massive subject and so involved I fear to talk about it at times! I look at every clip and ask if it needs anything? I would rather have great source footage that was properly white balanced and didn't need any help if possible. However, if it does need help do whatever is needed. In my experience 'less is more' but if a clip needs saving do whatever you need to save it.

I always use the FCC to do brightness and contrast work and, if you have lots of footage from the same camera on the same day, create a pre-set from the FCC and apply it to all the clips rather than having to start from scratch each time. Work smart!

3) Use vignettes with care is my advice. Only use a vignette when it will either make a shot easier for the audience by reducing unwanted distractions etc. Or, where there is a real creative need to say increase the feel of isolation for an actor. I would never plan to use one throughout a film regardless.

4) The Filmic Blend Technique is to be applied as pretty much the last thing you do on a sequence. Do everything else first including color corrected and then go back and see if the filmic blend technique is going to give you that extra you want.

What I would do is small test renders of just a few seconds from different parts of my timeline to see if if it worth the extra time in rendering or not. If it is worth it then do it for all the sequences. If not, don't bother as it will really slow down your output.

5) I haven't looked at the youtube video but I would say be careful if you haven't actually planned for this look when you filmed your footage. It may work but then again it may not. Again, you could do a few short test renders to see if it worked, but I would tend to avoid playing after the fact as it may just make the whole film look odd! That said, do a test and see for yourself ... it can't hurt!

Hope this helps a little and all the best on our work. I hope that in the next few weeks I'll get back to tutorial production and maybe have another 20 - 30 tutorials coming along for PP in due course.

All the best
Andrew

... because it's all about stories ...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew DevisRe: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique
by on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:30:10 pm

Of course, it should be Filmic Blend not Flimic Blend! That's what you get for being dyslexic!

Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Edward MontezinosRe: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique
by on Mar 19, 2013 at 10:33:32 pm

Hi,

It is easy with one non cut piece, but how to apply the different settings quickly to several sequences/pieces of time code?

thank you!

Ed

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew Devis@Edward Montezino
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:03:58 am

Hi Edward

If you select all the clips and right click on them and choose 'nest' they all become 1 item which you can then use for the technique.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Liam WebbRe: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique
by on May 3, 2013 at 7:55:45 am

Hi Andrew,

Firstly, thank you for your wonderful tutorials. I do not think there could be a better or more comprehensive coverage of the use of Premiere Pro than what you provide here.
My question relates to the use of adjustment layers. Could you apply the same principals/effects to 2 adjustment layers, instead of duplicating the footage? I have had some success with this method before, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts/comments on it.

Thanks again,
Liam
+ + +

Videographer/Producer
Webb Family Music
http://www.webbfamilymusic.com
thhp://www.youtube.com/wowebbs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Andrew Devis@Liam Webb
by on May 4, 2013 at 3:49:13 pm

Hi Liam

Great question and YES, it seems to work just as well with a couple of adjustment layers as with copies of the footage!

Good call!

All the best
Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Grégoire NedelcoviciRe: Premiere Pro CS6: 69 Color 22 The Filmic Blend Technique
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:03:08 pm

Hi Andrew,

First I want you to be sure that every time I look to one of your tutorial I'm always amaze by the work you'r doing, it's a pleasure because it also feels like you'r are taking some. Otherwise I don't see how you can make such good tutorials !

I just have a quick question about this one, The Filmic Blend Technique.

Can we reach the same deepness by using coloring techniques ? (luminance, saturation,RGB) Or is the result proper to this Filming blend technique ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew Devis@Grégoire Nedelcovici
by on Jun 15, 2013 at 8:51:11 am

Hi Grégoire

As we say in the UK, 'there is more than one way to skin a cat' - which means that you can often find different way to achieve similar results.

The advantage of the method is that it blurs the lines of the blended layers to give what seems like a richer solution AND, it is fast and easy to do.

If you get in-depth with colour correction tehniques of course you can achieve great looks but they may take more time to get the results you want ...

So, it ends up being a trade off between time to add effects and time to render. If you use the filmic blend technique you will achieve results quickly but they will take longer to render. If you go with other CC techniques you will probably take longer to get the desired results but they MAY well render out more quickly.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]