Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

format conversion from FCP to PP 5 Windows

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David Jahnsformat conversion from FCP to PP 5 Windows
by on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:45:10 pm

I'm being asked to transfer media that was ingested in FCP, and now to deliver it to an amateur Premiere Pro Windows user for editing. (I know very little about Premiere, and even less about Windows - sorry!)

The other editor is requesting DVDs of the raw footage, so I'm guessing he's not terribly versed in HD and professional file based workflows. i'm trying to help out, and keep things at highest quality through the pipeline.

Original format is P2, DVCPro 720p24. I do not have access to the raw files anymore - they have been ingested into FCP, so there are now DVCPro Quicktimes.

As I understand it, these will not work on Premiere on Windows, correct? We could convert everything to ProRes, if he'd be capable of installing the ProRes codec & QT Player. That would work, right?

If not, is there a Windows friendly format/codec I could convert to (using a Mac & Adobe Media Encoder)? I don't see AVI as an option - MPEG?

Any help greatly appreciated.

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: format conversion from FCP to PP 5 Windows
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:17:13 am

> so there are now DVCPro Quicktimes.

As I understand it, these will not work on Premiere on Windows, correct?

I don't know why you think that. Premiere Pro on Windows can read QuickTime movies just fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: format conversion from FCP to PP 5 Windows
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 11:36:40 am

Give the editor the RAW P2 Files on a Disc.
And an xml if needed.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David JahnsRe: format conversion from FCP to PP 5 Windows
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:06:17 pm

Todd - I know PP can read Quicktimes, but I read in multiple places that it can't read DVCPro Quicktimes that were generated during FCP Log & Transfer - some strange codec or wrapper issue. Not sure if that is really the case or not, which is why I was posting here for confirmation.

Chris - I do not have access to the raw P2's any more - only the FCP generated QT's.

Turns out i was able to talk directly to the PP Windows editor, and we settled on HD MPEG-2s - not ideal from my perspective, but certainly better than burning everything to a DVD.

With the demise of FCP, I'm eager to learn more about Premiere, so thanks for the help!

Dave

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: format conversion from FCP to PP 5 Windows
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:55:46 pm

> Todd - I know PP can read Quicktimes, but I read in multiple places that it can't read DVCPro Quicktimes that were generated during FCP Log & Transfer - some strange codec or wrapper issue. Not sure if that is really the case or not, which is why I was posting here for confirmation.

I'm not aware of such a problem.

I do know of a related issue: If you use the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) in a QuickTime movie, then you can have a problem, because that codec isn't available to other applications. Perhaps that's what you heard.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]