Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Making a Still from Live

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Durwood HibbardMaking a Still from Live
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:19:44 am

I thought this would fall into the basics. I am working on a small sports video and would like to create a segment of "snap-shots" I have in the past tried to freeze the footage by turning the speed to 0 but I noticed I could see very very slight movement with the the shot. Is there a better way to create a "still" or "frozen" image pulled from live footage?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tracy PetersonRe: Making a Still from Live
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 1:02:26 am

The blur you are seeing is actually motion blur, a factor of the shutter speed and the speed of the motion when the footage was shot. Not much you can do to remove it. If you have paused the image on the screen, that's pretty much all you can pull as a still from video. In the future, if you have enough light, you should make your shutter as fast as possible when shooting high speed activities, like sports.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Making a Still from Live
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 3:40:54 pm

If using CS3, just use File > Export > Frame to create a still image, which can then be placed on the timeline and dragged to any length. With CS4, use Adobe Media Encoder to export the still.

When you say your freeze has movement in it, you may be seeing interlace flicker. In Photoshop, go into VIDEO filters and choose Deinterlace and save again, this will provide a clear, rock-solid still image. From timeline, easy to just right-click the still and choose "Edit in Photoshop" if PS is installed, deinterlace, save.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SusmanRe: Making a Still from Live
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:15:59 am

Using Media Encoder to capture a still frame is an odd feature and not very elegant. Most users intuitively expect to find frame capture in a menu option or keyboard shortcut. The frame hold is a close option and works very well but it only works on the clip selected not the composited frame in the timeline.

Mark Susman
FASTCUTFILMS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BensonRe: Making a Still from Live
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 1:53:28 pm

Appears I'm coming late to this party, and you have probably moved on, but when I want to freeze a frame I typically use 'frame hold'. To do this, I trim the clip with the image I want so that the image is the first frame of the clip. Then I right click on the clip and choose 'Frame Hold'. On that dialog box click the 'Hold On' box and make sure the drop down says 'In Point'. If needed also click the 'Hold Filters' and 'Deinterlace' check boxes. You can size the clip to the amount of time you want by extending its end (don't extend from the front of the clip, as that will change the frame at the In Point).

Since it sounds like you want a pseudo photo montage, you may want to try the 'Posterize Time' video effect.

Pauley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Durwood HibbardRe: Making a Still from Live
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 2:35:56 am

Yes a little late to the party...but better late then never....I ended up using the Frame Hold and it worked out well. My wife wanted to know who took pictures and gave them to me. I just laughed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BensonRe: Making a Still from Live
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 4:44:15 pm

Glad it worked. Don't you love it when people don't know how you did some trick?

Pauley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]