Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sean KimbellSplit a stereo track into 2 mono tracks
by on Jun 6, 2009 at 5:57:28 pm

I am trying to split a stereo track with left and right audio to two mono tracks with the left channel in one track and the right channel in the second track. I have been reading and all I seem to get is select the audio clip and then goto to Clip/Audio Oprions/breakout to mono. Unfortunately the menu item BREAKOUT TO MONO is greyed out and does not let me select it. I also read that you can force all clips to send the tracks to mono tracks on import. This will not work for me in this case I have already created the entire production and now I need to remove the channels that have ambient sound on them and just keep the tracks that represent the mics that I used on the set that day. I hope this makes since and someone can help me with this.
Thanks
Sean Kimbell

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eddie LotterRe: Split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks
by on Jun 7, 2009 at 4:47:35 pm

I suspect you are trying to work on the timeline. You need to use breakout to mono on a clip in the Project Panel.

See: FAQ:How do I create mono/stereo out of stereo/mono audio?

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks
by on Jun 9, 2009 at 7:58:36 pm

Hi Sean,

I've always just used "Fill Left" and "Fill Right" audio filters dropped onto the audio clip. I've had footage with ambient on left channel and wireless on right, I just add FILL RIGHT and then have wireless sound only on BOTH channels

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Jim Wilkinson-RayRe: Split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks
by on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:57:11 pm

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!!
Wanting just oneone channel of a stereo field to be placed in the center of the master output is so common - I can't believe it was so hard to find this answer and is so suttle within P Pro.
I spent a disgusting amount of time trying to read through Adobe's help files, calling them and searching the web for what used to be a simple operation on my old editing software.
I had tried fill left & right, but didn't realize that it was "pre-fade", so I didn't hear a change.
Thanks again!

Corp. Communications & PR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adrian RoupRe: Split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 5:59:34 am

Thank you Jeff!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael CooperRe: Split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 9:07:57 am

Hi I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to split the stereo audio on import. I use a lavaliere mic connected to my GH2 audio in and so all the audio I record on the camera is just one channel on a stereo recording. I want to simplify my workflow and be able to make 2 mono tracks and delete the empty track and duplicate and pan the good track.
The "Fill left" "Fill Right" way works great, but just out of curiosity (final cut user style) How do I do it on import the other way?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert BrackenRe: Split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks
by on Jun 5, 2013 at 2:30:19 pm

Here's photos of what to do.

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/stereo-to-dual-mono-premiere-pro/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter