Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Newb: Export settings: retain high quality ?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dean WalshNewb: Export settings: retain high quality ?
by on Jul 25, 2008 at 5:39:10 pm

Hello

I have captured my footage in prem pro 2.0 using DV capture via my PCs firewire port.

The footage after capture looks good, clean and crisp.

When exporting I'd like the final exported edited video to have the same quality as the capture clips. However when exporting it seems the clips arn't as good.

I want the final edit to be viewed on a desktop PC and also secondly a seperate export for a MAC desktop.

What project settings and video rendering settings should I use to retain the original capture quality?

Also if i was to compress to make the video slightly smaller but still retaining a good quality what codec would you recomend?

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent RosatiRe: Newb: Export settings: retain high quality ?
by on Jul 26, 2008 at 2:54:18 am

How are you currently exporting?

To 'retain' quality, you would export as AVI/DV or AVI/Uncompressed.
Your project settings should match your source, which should also match your output - 720x480, 60i (29.97 fps interlaced, Lower Field First for NTSC) for instance.
There should be a project preset that matches your job.
If you use a custom project that is not for 'DV Playback' I'd recommend you set the Video Rendering compressor to None.

The intended workflow for DV is to edit, than export as a DVD-Video MPEG-2 file.

For getting the best picture out of DV source, in my opinion, is to deinterlace the clips in After Effects prior to editing in Premiere.
This is especially true if you intend to create desktop video.
There are deinterlacing solutions in Premiere, and plugins are also available.
Do you intend to output at full frame size, or will you be scaling down the frame?
Is your source interlaced?

For windows, WMV does a pretty good job, and it's widely supported. You just need to find the best bitrates for your purpose.
For Mac, QuickTime MP4/h.264 is pretty nice.

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dean WalshRe: Newb: Export settings: retain high quality ?
by on Jul 26, 2008 at 10:02:27 am

Firstly thanks for the exellent reply!

my source is from a Sony vx1000 via firewire.
When i think about it i purchased the camera from the US so when setting up my project will selecting NTSC make a real difference in quality as opposed to choosing PAL?

When I exported as AVI uncompressed it would'nt play back in windows media player why is this?

When you say DV is intended for DVD output what would my other
options be when capturing from my Sony VX1000 to better suite desktop video?

I'm also a little unsure as to what de/interlacing is and when i should and shouldn't de/interlace? Does deinterlacing take away that look of having lines across the screen, and is one for dvd/tv and one for desktop?

I would like to test the video at full frame size and at a smaller scale to see how this looks and to learn how this works. What would you suggest?

As for bitrates I'm really not sure what they are or which to choose. In what sort of scenarios would I want to change these settings?

I just want to retain high quality as much as possible.

i will research these topics myself to better understand them however your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 3, 2008 at 7:23:21 pm

"i purchased the camera from the US so when setting up my project will selecting NTSC make a real difference in quality as opposed to choosing PAL? "
It is essential to set your project to the correct field order, based on that of your source material. If it's not identified in the cams manual or on the companies website, download GSpot Codec Information Appliance and it will tell you.

"When I exported as AVI uncompressed it would'nt play back in windows media player why is this?"
That's a mystery. Uncompressed video should play in Media Player. Again, open the clip with GSpot to see if it's a codec issue.

"...what would my other
options be when capturing from my Sony VX1000 to better suite desktop video?"
If your cam records in DV you should capture in DV. Assuming you're not dropping any frames during capture, it is a bit-for-bit prefect transfer.

Deinterlacing is as you suspect. The offset lines you see in the preview monitor (where there is motion, and when viewing at 100%) are the interlaced fields.
Deinterlacing is a process that turns you 60i or 50i (interlaced) footage into Progressive footage. Progressive ideal for desktop video.
Interlaced video is for CRT display, however note that DVD players will deinterlace when playing interlaced video on computer monitors, LCDs or Plasmas.
Interlaced video should never be resized, and if you need to add graphics or animations these should also be interlaced.
Deinterlacing adds a complicated step to your process, but it makes the footage easier to work with, in my opinion.

If you are doing a simple edit with no graphic overlays or animations it is absolutely fine to use interlaced footage for creating a DVD.

I think I'm rambling, sorry...

There are a number of techniques for deinterlacing, and they produce different results. You should search the COW archives for 'deinterlace'.

For 1/4 Screen video (352x240, 320x240) you can deinterlace in Premiere by right clicking on the clip in the timeline and selecting Field Options/Always Deinterlace, than resize with Video Effect/Distort/Transform.
Reducing footage to 1/4 resolution effectively deinterlaces interlaced video on it's own, but it's sloppy, the results are much better if you actually deinterlace before scaling down.

For Full Screen video, there are a bunch of ways you can do it.
Leave it interlaced, as long as your not resizing anything and intend to make a DVD that will play on DVD hardware.
Deinterlace in Premiere or After Effects if the video is to be played at full resolution on Desktop.

Bitrates
That depends totally on you, as far as how much compression you are willing to accept.
I'd do some encoding tests on a 30-second clip that has a good deal of motion, until you get the 'formula' that works for you.

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dean WalshRe: Newb: Export settings: retain high quality ?
by on Aug 4, 2008 at 8:24:56 am

Vince, exellent replies thank you very much.

I did go away and read up and experiment with different encoding, bitrates, frame sizes etc and got the desired results!

Thanks again!

Heres the link to video if anyone is remotely interested.

Not my best but i'm quite happy with it considering the short period of time I had to work...

http://www.badongo.com/vid/822599

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Aug 5, 2008 at 1:25:50 am

Pretty solid! Nice Cuts. Locked shots. Appropriate music, Very nice.
If I had to offer one suggestion, it would be to look into Title Safe Guides/Safe Areas :) They can be enabled in Premiere or in Photoshop CS.

Bravo!

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wim VannijvelRe:Export settings ADOBE PREMIERE: Retain high quality ?
by on Apr 17, 2009 at 10:04:17 am

High Dean,

I'm in the same position like you before ...
I tested in Premiere with different settings, codecs and bitrates, but i'm not convinced of my output-quality ...

Is it possible to let me know your best export-settings for your Adobe Premiere-projects Please?

Do you do the export in MPEG2, AVI or WMV-format?
(I want to store little self-made films (2-5 minutes) later on DVD.)

Thank you

Wim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian WhiteRe: Re:Export settings ADOBE PREMIERE: Retain high quality ?
by on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:21:53 am

I had to create an account after searching and searching online for the best export settings in Premiere Pro.

Most of the answers I found were from years ago!

So I did some testing on my own. I exported the same clip multiple times in multiple formats with variations of the settings of each one and I came to a conclusion as to what I find to be the best settings. My comparisons were only made after uploading the videos to YouTube also, as I find that YouTube can sometimes alter different file types differently when processing them.

I wrote my finding in my blog along with the settings and screen shots here:
http://goo.gl/8GZq4i

Brian White Videographer, Editor
Wrap Arizona L.L.C.
The Video Production Blog
http://goo.gl/8GZq4i

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter