Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

crop and soften edges

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dave Messingercrop and soften edges
by on Mar 30, 2009 at 1:54:04 pm

Sorry for this simple post - I did search and for some reason could find no posts- probably because of terminology.

I often do an oval crop and soften edges using Microsoft PhotoDraw on a captured bmp file from my video editing program, and use the resulting pic on white dvd labels.

It's like a 2 step process in photodraw and fast. I am trying to do it in CS3 - and I am just not that familiar with Photoshop to do it quickly - and for some reason I do not see an easy way of doing it.

Could someone direct me to a tutorial or directions on how to do this in CS3 photoshop.

Thanks

Dave Messinger
http://vfwTech.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Abraham ChaffinRe: crop and soften edges
by on Mar 30, 2009 at 8:24:19 pm

One quick way to do this that is also non destructive to your layer is to add a layer mask and then blur the mask.

Click on the layer then click the layer mask button. Select the layer mask, fill in black where you want the transparency, then blur the mask with
Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt SepetaRe: crop and soften edges
by on Mar 30, 2009 at 8:29:57 pm

Abraham's method is a much safer, reliable bet... I just recently upgraded from CS to CS4 and have not gotten used to using non-destructive techniques!

Good Day

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt SepetaRe: crop and soften edges
by on Mar 30, 2009 at 8:29:15 pm

Do not worry, once you get the hang of it, you will be able to accomplish the task ten different ways. Here is what I would do...

-create a new blank layer (command n)
-Delete locked background layer (I always do this)
-use custom shape tool and choose ellipse, make the foreground color white
-Drag it out to the size you want.
-Layers-rasterize-shape
-Select the ellipse
-command shift i to invert the selection
-Selection--modify-feather

mess around with that until you get the desired result.
some of the things may be a bit different depending on version, but that is the overall gist of it

Good Day

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave MessingerRe: crop and soften edges
by on Apr 3, 2009 at 6:14:47 pm

Thanks for the responses. I just freed up some time so I will give these tips a shot - I have been needing to learn PS for a while - so this will give me a shot at it.

Dave Messinger
http://vfwTech.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]