Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Bad quality text in photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sjur HermanBad quality text in photoshop
by on Jul 26, 2008 at 9:29:21 am

The text in photoshop is really bad quality. Where could I make some setting to better the quality of the text?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff KelleyRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:44:55 pm

What's the resolution for you image? The lower the resolution, the worse your text will be once it's flattened.

Jeff
http://www.willinois.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sjur HermanRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:47:09 pm

Seems like what ever I use it's the same resolution. Normaly it's at 72 but I set it to 300 and it's the same resolution pretty much when I zoom in. When I zoom in the text has very sharp edges and looks really bad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 28, 2008 at 5:29:01 pm

Yes, any text will look bad if you zoom in too close. You looking at pixels being displayed on the screen. Look at it at 100%, or print it.

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 28, 2008 at 5:33:20 pm

I know this is a really dumb question. It still looks bad at 100. And when I save it as a png 24 or 16 files it looks bad too. What do the pros do? To get high quality designs?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:09:15 pm

Here is the thing, unless we are talking headline or large text, typesetting in photoshop is never a good idea. That being said, if document should be at least 300 DPI minimum if you are going to print. if you are set up as 72 DPI, it will always look like garbage.

Now, if you can keep your text vector based (I know you can in Photoshop CS, than your ok, but if you flatten your work to make a jpg or eps, than you stuck.

If you are typing in a size, like under 20 points, it will never be perfect.

Are you doing this for the web or print?

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:29:46 pm

Thanks for great input! I am doing this for the web. So I should uppen the resolution and write button text in a big document then scale it down in flash. This is the only logical way I know of doing good text. What is your opinion?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom HepburnRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:16:19 am

You know I'd also check the anti aliasing under the character palette. Another thing I'd do is check it with another font and see if you get the same results. And as another poster said, make sure you looking at 100%

T

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2008 at 2:16:40 pm

If you are making this for the web, your stuck at 72 dpi, which mean you can not increase the resolution. So you best bet would be to try and see. Look at it at 100% at 72 DPI and that is how it will look on the website.

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 7:20:24 pm

Do the text in photoshop and scale it down in flash doesn't sound like a good idea. The pixel interpolation you will get from flash is going to be unpredictable.

See the text in the ad banners at the sides of this page? Some are bitmaps made in photoshop, others are just plain flash text.

Does your text look like any of them?

Someone already said this, but you must check if your font is ok. Try with a different typography and different font sizes.

It would be easier to figure it out if you upload an example. Good luck, anyway.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steven PanzulloRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Jul 31, 2008 at 6:20:43 am

Most likely Its the option under text palate looks like (aa)
anti aliasing. Make sure you choose sharp or fine that will clear your text issue. Also work on your web doc at 100% size when you add text that way you know what the final text will look like before you cut your webpage and send it up to the net.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Georgi ParvanovRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:07:55 pm

I registered especially to answer your question because I know texts and flash somehow don't get along and it is such a pain in the ass. I had nearly the same problem a lot of times and the solution that does work for me is just work at a 100% of the size always. If you need a resize for something then just make sure you don't resize your image over 100% of its original size and it should work just fine. What I mean is just make sure the largest size you need is a 100% of the original size.

Another thing is when working in photoshop make sure you tried all the different anti-aliasing modes of the text - crisp, sharp, strong or smooth. For the purpose I usually use smooth and it works. Depending on the font sometimes crisp is the better choice. As resolution is involved since you are making it for a site make sure your dpi is always set to 72. If you try 300 for example it will look very bad on your monitor but on a high quality print it'll be perfect. And if you use a 300dpi for a flash it automatically resizes it to 72 which is a 4 times reduction in size and its kind of normal to loose quality.

Another thing is to use vector outlines for the type (convert to shape in photoshop). It should always be perfect no matter how you resize it but make sure you are saving it in a vector format but its size is never good for flash :)

Hope you already found a solution though :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel LevineRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 11:48:11 pm

I've been able to fix this by selecting Layer/Type/Anti-Alias on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Xman SavassiRe: Bad quality text in photoshop
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 11:22:43 am

Same as the other guy, i registered just to answer this.

I came to this forum loooking for a solution for the same problem.

Thought the Anti alias solved some of the problem, the solution i found was something i have seen no one explain: What you need to do, is to change the SIZE of the image.
You just go to image Image > Image size (ALT+CTRL+I), change the setting to percentage, and increase the overall size of the image to 200% by example. Worked for me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]