Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David StrelitzSuddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 8:13:44 am

Pulling hair out - CS2.
Some of the default brushes and the simple Eraser are not working. I seem to remember this happening before but for the life of me cannot remember what causes it.

Simple test

New Canvas- fill with colour no problem but using a simple brush or simple eraser does not work. If I use the pattern type brushes no problem. Opacity etc set to 100%
CLUE Eraser only works if set to Block NOT Brush or Pencil

Help please

David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent RosatiRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 4:00:37 pm

Try: Reset All Tools, there is a triangle drop-down menu next to the active tool's icon - not on the tool box, but on the main menu. Just under the File & Edit menus.
Then click the next triangle drop-down, Reset All Tools will be there.

Also, check to make sure the Brush Tool is set to Brush Tool, and not Pencil Tool or Color Replacement Tool.

Just a couple thoughts

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

David StrelitzRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 5:12:34 pm

Thank You for your response. I had tried resetting the brushes but to no avail. What I have found out is that if I select Basic Brushes, then everything works but many from the other brush sets simply do not work either in Brush mode or Eraser.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent RosatiRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 12:46:58 am

I'm at a loss.

Reset All Tools and Reset Brushes are two different functions, on two different lists. Try doing both. It sounds like you tried Reset Brushes.

When the brush is selected in the tool box, try setting the brush Mode to Normal.

If it still doesn't work, maybe start a thread in the PS & AI forum. There's usually more eyes on that forum.

If you do solve the issue, don't forget to post your solution. :)

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrea BrownRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 19, 2009 at 3:18:14 am

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone managed to figure out this problem. I seem to be having the exact same problem with my photoshop cs3 software. My erasers do not work other than with the pattern and block brushes.

Looking forward to figuring this out somehow.
Thanks in advance

Andrea

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jose AlvaradoRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:04:24 am

DUDE AMAZING!! YOU SOLVED MY PROBLEM !!! IT WAS THE MODE: BRUSH that did it! I almost went crazy bananas there...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Necole CameronRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Dec 11, 2011 at 10:15:41 pm

Thanks! You saved my life and helped me make deadline!

~May the force be with you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Renate HoviusRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on May 31, 2012 at 3:31:13 pm

hi, had the same problem, thankfully I found this message and problem solved :-) thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew CliftRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 22, 2009 at 12:08:36 am

You may be in quickmask mode. At the bottom of your tools palette there is a circle in a square. Just make sure this is off. The shortcut key is 'Q' so if you accidently hit this you will be in quickmask mode.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane SeniorRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:27:46 pm

Ok - pulled my hair out on this too. I have a bamboo pen tablet installed. Using the bamboo mouse (not the pen) - all brushes wouldn't work. I almost uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I then used the eraser on my pen and - viola - it worked. I started to use my regular mouse, and it also worked. Brush works with the regular mouse too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sarah NikolicRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 12:06:26 am

Same hear...for the last week or so I haven't been able to use the eraser when it's in brush mode...the block worked fine. I also have a bamboo mouse and pen (not sure if that has anything to do with it) but I followed Shane's advice and used my bamboo pen to erase in brush mode. It worked!....my mouse still doesn't work but at least I can use the brush eraser with my pen. Adobe both sucks and rocks...lol

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Regina PallyRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on May 1, 2009 at 3:46:57 am

My erase tool does not work when I am using layer adjustments>levels. It works if I paint some color on a photo, but when I try and erase part of the levels adjustments the erasing does not occur, even though I have opacity up to %100. I tried all the suggestions from the other posts but still am having a problem

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Holly MarottaRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jul 23, 2009 at 10:24:48 pm

I was having the same problem; clone stamp, eraser and all brushes would not work. I saw this post and stopped using my wacom tablet mouse --pen worked fine.

THANK YOU!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joanne SimoneauRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:25:07 pm

Thank you. I was going crazy. I too, have the writing pad installed and when I unplugged the usb from the pad... my brushes worked again. Thank you, I was ready to pull my hair out when my paintshop brushes wouldnt work!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert BlankerRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:53:53 am

Took some time when i had the same problem. I dont use a tablet, just normal mouse drawing.

Anyway, to fix the problem;
1. Select the layer in layer listing.
2. Look at the 'lock:' option on layer listing at the top, its below the drop downlist with 'Normal', 'Dissolve' etc. and Opacity dropdown. The first option after 'lock:' is Lock transparent pixels. Make sure its not activated. Should solve your problem...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anuradha JoshiRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:46:30 am

Check if you are using Tablets , because the same problem I also faced , but when I remove Bamboo tool , eraser tool is perfectly working ..
check it out if possible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David RamirezRe: Suddenly my Brushes and Eraser are not working properly
by on Dec 26, 2011 at 6:41:14 am

Also make sure your layer is not a vector - then the eraser tool will be blocked (crossed circle instead of the tool at the mouse pointer). Choose Rasterize from the layer menu - then the tool will work normally.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]