Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Keeping the background transparent....

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
DVX100ShooterKeeping the background transparent....
by on Apr 19, 2007 at 2:01:56 am

What am I doing wrong? I set up my photoshop project to work in a transparent mode. I then clicked OPEN and located my image on my HD. When I opened it, it opened in a new window (work space). By using one of the tools, I cut the background out and saving the foreground to be used in Final Cut Pro with a new background. When I imported the image into FCP it had a white background. How do I just keep the foreground image? I have a Photoshop User Guide book but I could not find my answers in there. When the transparent screen comes up (the one with the small grey and white squares), should I be doing all my work in that box (workspace)? If so, how do I import an image there because I tried and it kept opening in a seperate box (workspace). Is there a certain file that I should be exporting as? I tried .PSD, PICT., and JPEG and all 3 kept a white background in Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jacki in AtlantaRe: Keeping the background transparent....
by on Apr 19, 2007 at 4:54:05 am

What file/application type are the images you are "importing" and how are you doing that? The grey and white means transparent, so if something you import makes it white, that is bad.

Someone else will know about the best file type for FCP, but I'd try a tif, unflattened.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

R SummerfieldRe: Keeping the background transparent....
by on Apr 20, 2007 at 7:28:40 pm

There may be a simpler way but this is what I do. The image you opened does not have a transparent background and will simply display white in the areas you cut or erase. Select the foreground image you want to save from your photo, cut and paste it into the transparent window you created with the project. You can also cut and paste the entire original image to the transparent project window to begin with so it will display the transparency underneath as you trim it out.

R Summerfield

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

wuzelwazelRe: Keeping the background transparent....
by on Apr 20, 2007 at 7:48:44 pm

[DVX100Shooter] "When the transparent screen comes up (the one with the small grey and white squares), should I be doing all my work in that box (workspace)? If so, how do I import an image there because I tried and it kept opening in a seperate box (workspace)."

When you "Open" or "Import" a file Photoshop will open it in a new window, you can "Place" a file which will put that file in your currently open project.

If you see the gray and white checkered background in the file and save it as a PSD most programs should preserve the transparency. Note that JPEGs don't allow for transparency. If you're working with any level of transparency and you don't want to work with PSDs then you'll want to use a TIF, PNG or TGA (make sure you save the alpha channel).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

R SummerfieldRe: Keeping the background transparent....
by on Apr 21, 2007 at 4:17:11 am

Both PSD and TIF should allow you to export with the transparency intact.

R Summerfield

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]