Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Cutting around image

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael5xCutting around image
by on Nov 28, 2005 at 12:17:44 am

Hi, I'm using photoshop cs and I'm trying to cut around images so that I can place them with other images else where. Can some one take the time to let me know what tool is best to cut around images to get the best results.
The images I'm cutting out are coming out jagged and sloppy so I need help big time. Also explain what format do I use to make that photos back ground transparent so that after I cut out the photo I don't have this blank white page foe the back ground. Like I said I just want to be able to drop the image in by it's self without nothing behind it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim KanterRe: Cutting around image
by on Nov 28, 2005 at 3:59:11 pm

1. You cannot have empty pixels on the Background layer (the name is italicized). Rename the layer or make a copy of it and work on the copy.

2. There are many ways to cut out pixel areas. Have you tried the extract tool?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael5xRe: Cutting around image
by on Nov 29, 2005 at 1:30:50 am

No I haven't so I will try that and your saying that if I make a copy of the image then it will make pixels disappear.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim KanterRe: Cutting around image
by on Nov 29, 2005 at 1:15:31 pm

In the layer named BACKGROUND (italicized) when you "delete" pixels it just paints them with the background color. If the layer is a copy above it (or has been renamed) then when you delete pixels they are deleted (transparent). The BG layer would still show unless you turn it off or delete it altogether.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
TheGreatSzalamRe: Cutting around image
by on Nov 29, 2005 at 2:55:09 pm

Look in the help files for stuff about layer masking. It's the best way to cut a layer out. You don't actually lose the pixel information, it's still there if you need it. (Not quick mask, layer mask - there's a big difference.)

The "Great" stands for "Not-So-Great"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]