Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

how to trim in points on multiple tracks on timeline in AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob Sawyerhow to trim in points on multiple tracks on timeline in AE CS6
by on Jan 22, 2014 at 3:28:56 pm

HI!
AE Newbie here, so I'm sorry if this is REALLY basic....

I've go a comp that is made up of 6 various elements on their own tracks in the timeline, each coming into the "picture" at various times, all coming to a final rest at about 11 seconds...total time is 2 min 30 seconds, what I need to do to "cut" every track so the "NEW" start time is at the 15 second point, where everything has been at rest for 4 seconds. then move all the tracks to the 0 marker ( beginning of the timeline..) so when I play the comp, the NEW beginning @ 00:00:00:00 or starting point is where I made the cut at 00:00:15:00. Sounds simple enough, and it is in premiere. apparently not so much in AE.

This is what I've done so far....
1] with my time marker at 15sec where I want the cut to occur, I used the "[" key to trim the start point of each track.. I left the end points for each track alone because they don't need to change... yet. so now I have at the 15 second mark, all the tracks beginning at the same time, which is the point in the animation I now want to be my starting point.
2] So now I need to move all the tracks to the beginning of the timeline, so I "select all" and slide them to the "0" beginning point of the timeline... all looks good..all the tracks are lined up at "0"...BUT

when I play it back each track still begins at the same "0" point as they did previous to the trim. the whole comp, each track, still begins at the same place it did originally, each element flying into the screen as it began before, and not already in the scene and at rest as I expected. but now each track is shorter.. it acts as if its the "out" point ( ending) is what I cut, not the "in" point.
any ideas?

I just had one... maybe... after making the "cut" should I have deleted all keyframes from each track? gonna try that...
any help would be appreciated!
B.S.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: how to trim in points on multiple tracks on timeline in AE CS6
by on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:52:13 pm

If you just pushed "[" that doesn't trim your layers, it moves the head of the layer to that point. So if you did that, then moved everything to 0, everything should still be the same(If all the layers started at 0 to begin with).

For example, just to make sure I understand your work flow and what you did---create a new 20 second comp and create 2 solids. Select Solid 1, go to 10 seconds and on the Number keypad press "*" to set a layer marker. Now go to 15 seconds, select Solid 2 and press and on the Number keypad press "*". Now go to 8 seconds, and press "[" Your layers have moved, but have not been trimmed. If you now bring both layers to 0, you everything will be the exact same.

If you want to trim a layers in-point, move the CTI(current time indicator) to where you want to trim it, and press "alt+[", which is what I think you want to do.

I think another approach you could take, is if you just want your comp to start at 15 seconds, is move the CTI to 15 seconds, press "b" to move the Work area tab, then right click in the work area tab and select "Trim Comp to Work Area" Hope that's what you are after, if not, let me know.

Having an understanding of editing/premiere will give you a basic understanding of AE fundamentals(trimming, alpha, keyframes), but if you really want to learn this program, start here: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC), there are some excellent FREE online tutorials that will really teach you the program.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Bob SawyerRe: how to trim in points on multiple tracks on timeline in AE CS6
by on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:13:58 pm

Johnny,
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!
The last suggestion you made worked perfectly... I didnt try the fist, because the last sounded like what I was looking for...
I'm attempting to make two comps, the second one starting exactly where the first left off....without having to restage everything in the second one.. and this does it perfectly.. thank you!
CB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:29:41 pm

Glad I could help out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Denilson GeorgeRe: how to trim in points on multiple tracks on timeline in AE CS6
by on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:31:45 am

@John i like ur way of hepling out God bless..am new here though and now learning after effects and premeire but i want more help to become a vfx pro..dont knw exactly wat to learn though but i long to learn visual effects, screen plays and intros

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:39:32 pm

If you want to increase your AE skills, I can't recommend enough Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC). There a ton of free resources that will get you started there.

It true with everything, but doubly true with AE, you have to learn to walk before you can run, learn the basics, they are the building blocks to creating amazing motion graphics. Once you have a good understanding how the program works, check out the more advanced tutorials at the Creative Cow, AETuts and Video CoPilot.. That's where you will see how to take those building blocks and really take everything to the next level.

And if you ever have a problem, come back to the Cow and ask questions, you'll always find a lot of help here.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]