Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Fastest way to do "motion masking"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Trung NguyenFastest way to do "motion masking"
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 9:52:44 pm

I'm trying to do a futuristic transparent table display where swiping my hands will show pictures and information (ie. In Ironman 2, Tony Stark displays Black Widow's info and pictures using this table display).

I filmed one clip where the first few seconds was just the table alone, and the remaining duration had some objects (magazines, coke bottle, etc.) on the table and my hands movement swiping on the table. I plan to split the clip into two parts where the first part (table only with time frozen) will have the futuristic display on it and act as a "plate" for the second part, which will have the table objects and my hand movements.

I could manually mask the objects and my hands movement frame by frame (very time consuming). But I'm wondering, is there any effect or method that can speed this process up?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vishesh AroraRe: Fastest way to do "motion masking"
by on Dec 20, 2012 at 5:26:07 am

Trung

In such cases using

helps you a lot.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trung NguyenRe: Fastest way to do "motion masking"
by on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:57:10 pm

Thanks! Rotoscope is pretty awesome!

I have one problem though; it's the fast hand movements causing the motion blur to throw it off. Would you suggest I include the motion blurred part of the hands in the "green" rotoscope area or just guess the approximate position of the hand without the motion blur? (I hope you understand what that means.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 20, 2012 at 8:52:47 pm

Also, I have a Neat Video's Reduce Noise effect applied to the footage layer. In which order would the results be better: Reduce Noise first then Roto Brush, or the opposite?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tero AhlforsRe: Fastest way to do "motion masking"
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:26:34 am

[Trung Nguyen] "Also, I have a Neat Video's Reduce Noise effect applied to the footage layer. In which order would the results be better: Reduce Noise first then Roto Brush, or the opposite?"

You're getting into a world of hurt here. These are both very memory/powerhungry plugins. I'd suggest rendering the clip out with Neat Video and then rotoing that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vishesh AroraRe: Fastest way to do "motion masking"
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:54:19 am

Trung

Tero is right. Render the footage with the Noise Reduction effect applied and then go for roto.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad RidgewayRe: Fastest way to do "motion masking"
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 7:29:59 pm

IMHO any and all automated rotoscoping tools look good in tutorials and demonstrations, but when it comes to real footage with real problems, you're not gonna get the results you want without doing it by hand.

If the rotobrush doesn't get you where you need (or at least mostly where you need) I would recommend piping the footage into a program designed for rotoscoping (like Silhouette) because roto'ing in AE is bruuuutal.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 27, 2012 at 7:37:05 pm

Rotoscroping in AE does a good job for the most part, but when the footage has fast motion blur, it really messes up badly. I agree with you about the brutal part.

I might give Silhouette a try if the end result doesn't look good. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]