Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

CC Light Burst Interfering With 3D Text Masking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Scott BulmerCC Light Burst Interfering With 3D Text Masking
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:12:19 am

As a newbie I am trying to work through a sample tutorial project originally demonstrated by Maxafter.com with more explanation here graciously by John Cuevas, however I am stuck at one step outlined below.

It should be noted that the end result is a replica of the Universal Studios introduction where a title orbits around the Earth, with the earth emanating bursts of light at the same time that the title is revealed.

The project file works reasonably well with one exception as follows:
The issue as illustrated in the attached image is that when the Composition (Earth Texture Alpha 2kB) containing the Light Bursts is visible and on, the Light Bursts appear correct however the 3D Text appears incorrectly, unmasked by the Earth. When that Composition is invisible and off, the 3D Text appears correctly masked by the Earth, but there are no Light Bursts. The goal is to have both the 3D Text masked by the Earth in addition to emanating Light Bursts from the Earth.

Is this a simple adjustment or am I way off base? Thank you for any comments, Scott

Mac Pro Quad Core, OS X 10.8.2, CS6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vishesh AroraRe: CC Light Burst Interfering With 3D Text Masking
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 10:29:49 am

Scott

If you are using Ray-traced 3D renderer then there are few limitations.
Check this:

Limitations of the Ray-traced 3D renderer

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 19, 2012 at 10:30:54 am

Scott

It seems that you are using Ray-traced 3D renderer.

There are few limitations. Check this:

Limitations of the Ray-traced 3D renderer

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: CC Light Burst Interfering With 3D Text Masking
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 1:03:54 pm

Scott,

Now that I have a more clear idea of what you are doing, I think you can take the entire Earth part of the project and precompose it and build it per the tutorial. It will rotate and work correctly in it's own composition. Just take the final output of the earth layers and drop that into your final and enable it's 3D button.

Again you will want to then turn off "accept lights" because whatever lights you have affecting your text/logo will then affect your earth. You should be lighting/shading the earth using the CCSphere plugin.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 19, 2012 at 1:20:19 pm

Scott,

If you are still having trouble, post your project here(use the file upload button, last icon above) and I'll take a closer look to make sure there isn't some little "gotcha" slipping you up. You only need to upload the ".aep" file. I'll download the maxafter project to recreate the globe portion.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott BulmerRe: CC Light Burst Interfering With 3D Text Masking
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:11:34 pm

John, I tried posting this earlier but received an error message that my account is 'In Moderation'. Not sure why I received that message or what it means and not sure if you received this file. Here it is again. Thank you again for your help. Scott

Mac Pro Quad Core, OS X 10.8.2, CS6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 20, 2012 at 5:53:11 am

Scott

Keep posting and you will soon be unmoderated.

See this:
How long do we stay in moderation?

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 20, 2012 at 1:10:53 pm

The .aep file didn't come through. Just email it to me, johnnycuevas@netscape.net

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]