Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Lost the 'Make Movie' controls

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sean WinnLost the 'Make Movie' controls
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:32:00 pm

Hi,
Cleaned up our system yesterday and today, when trying to save out a composition (make movie), it's jumping right to the system location box and no longer have the settings options in the render queue (where I can change to h.264, pro res, etc).

Tried resetting preferences on a restart, but it's still behaving the same way.
Thanks for any assistance.
Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Lost the 'Make Movie' controls
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:12:40 pm

so there are no options to select in the output module in the render queue?

i'd try holding cmd-opt-shift (osx) or ctrl-alt-shift (win) when starting ae. it should ask if you want to reset the prefs file, click ok -- note this will reset your prefs file to the default install settings, so you may need to set some setting back... like cache directories, multiprocessing, memory and third-party i/o card settings.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean WinnRe: Lost the 'Make Movie' controls
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:25:44 pm

Yes, did that on the preference reset (cmd option shift), but no change when saving out. You hit 'make movie' and a save to dialogue box appears. If I close that out, down in the render queue and go to output module, usually I'm able to click 'lossless' and choose my settings in the resulting dialogue. Now, it's not active.

Normally, you choose make movie and the render queue pops up and you select your settings and the save. So, hmmm, not sure what's gotten out of whack here. Appreciate any further help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:09:52 pm

[Sean Winn] "Yes, did that on the preference reset"

sorry i should have read your original post more closely...

i assume you have the same problem if you choose composition>add to render queue...?

you could try moving the entire preference folder out to the desktop.

in osx you'd find it in users/[username]/library/preferences/adobe/after effects. quit ae and try moving the entire folder that has the version number on it to the desktop, then restart ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:16:14 pm

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the response. Well, that worked (composition - add to reder queue. Never used that before, so didn't dawn on me. Not sure why the make movie dialogue has changed, but won't matter as long as this works. Appreciate the time,
Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Lost the 'Make Movie' controls
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:17:34 pm

It sounds like what you're seeing is the expected behavior: The first time that you use Make Movie, a dialog box appears to ask what your target location is for output files. After that first time, the dialog box no longer appears because After Effects assumes that you always want to begin with that as your target location.

If you're just closing that dialog box without indicating a target location, then you don't add the item to the render queue.

BTW, this is one of the reasons that we removed the Make Movie command from After Effects CS6. For many years, the Add To Render Queue command has been a much better choice, with more functionality and fewer chances for confusion like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:19:23 pm

Ok, sweet, that explains it perfectly. So, even though I'm still on CS5, I'll start using the 'add to' function.
Again, thank everyone for their time.
Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:12:17 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "It sounds like what you're seeing is the expected behavior"

sorry sean, i sent you on a bit of a wild goose chase... i had never used the make movie method, i had always thought that behaved the same as add to render queue, and that's the method i've always used.

i had wondered why there were 2 options that did the same thing (or nearly) but had never looked into the difference.

thanks todd

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Lost the 'Make Movie' controls
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:50:02 pm

> i had wondered why there were 2 options that did the same thing (or nearly)...

Me, too. That's why I had the lesser alternative removed in After Effects CS6. It was just confusing people.

> thanks todd

No problem. Just doing my job.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]