Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

my brush tool is not showing up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Caroline Quinnmy brush tool is not showing up
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:48:38 pm

my brush tool is not appearing in after effects! I clicked the brush tool and the small circle where my mouse would be does not appear. I also am wondering how to click a layer so it is in 'edit mode'. Again, I am very new to this programs and my questions may sound silly.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert HeadrickRe: my brush tool is not showing up
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:04:22 pm

To use the brush tool, you need to be working directly on a layer, rather than on your composition (this answers your second question as well). Double-click your layer either in the composition timeline at the bottom of the screen, or directly in the composition window. This will open the layer up in its own tab, and from there you can use the brush tool.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Caroline QuinnRe: my brush tool is not showing up
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:23:32 pm

I have tried double clicking the specific layer I want to edit in both the timeline area and in the project window and nothing happens. I'm working in CS6 btw. Is there another way?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:42:53 pm

A couple questions: What type of layer are you trying to edit? Are you using the Standard workspace? (to check this, go to Window --> Workspace --> Standard) If you're using the Standard workspace already, go ahead and click Window --> Workspace --> Reset "Standard". Now look up at the top of your center panel that contains your composition view. You should just have one tab that says "Composition: Comp 1" (or whatever custom name you gave it if you've named it already). Now when you double-click a layer in your timeline down below, it should open up a new tab right next to the Composition tab that will say "Layer: [name of the layer you opened]". That's where you can edit a layer directly rather than working in your composition, and where you should be able to use the brush tool, among other things.

Let me know how that goes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Caroline QuinnRe: my brush tool is not showing up
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:07:16 pm

Nevermind, I found a way.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:11:41 pm

Awesome!