Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

How to hide part of a layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
francesco orazziniHow to hide part of a layer
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:09:50 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out a way to hide part of a layer in my composition.
I'm not trying to do so with the masks, which are already in use
What I need is a command which consent to elude the layer only on the background, and show it only on the part I need.

The following video will show you what I'm trying to do.

Basically, I'm talking about a shadow running on a character. The shadow is an A. effect Solid layer, with a mask on which change shape following up the animation.
What I don't want is to see the shadow on the background. I've tried to work it out with various mask, but I don't think is the right way to do so.

Any help?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: How to hide part of a layer
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:56:10 pm

If you don't want to add more masks to your solid/shadow layer than I would use a track matte.

Lock all your layers to start(just for safety). Create a solid and place it above your shadow layer and turn off it's eyeball. Now use the pen tool to choose the area you Don't want to see the shadow. Now just change the track matte on your shadow layer to alpha inverted.

Unlock your other layers if you need want to work on them further.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

francesco orazziniRe: How to hide part of a layer
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:12:22 am

Hi,
thank you for reply.
I think I'll use your advise which seems to works good for that.
But still, the problem is:
Have I to change the shape of the mask each time my character change frame (and position, so?)

I'm asking that 'cause I wonder how's possible to use this method in the case you have to hide a long part in a long movie. Is there any way to let the new mask follow the shape and movement of my character automatically?

Thank you again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]