Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Compositing Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dale KutzeraCompositing Question
by on May 25, 2012 at 3:00:50 pm

Is there a best practices on compositing various elements into a single comp? Is it better to create each separate element, export them as a film, then import these rendered files back into a larger comp? Or is just pre-comping such elements and arranging them in a larger nested comp the way to go? Seems the latter would result in some really complex files as each element has it's own motion and effects.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen SmithRe: Compositing Question
by on May 25, 2012 at 4:05:40 pm

I think you need to ask yourself how complicated is this project and how fast is your computer? I've been able to build almost everything with out having to export part of it and then bring it back into the project. Pre-comping can keep things better organized and help you move a bunch of stuff easily. Here is a link to my YouTube channel if you want to get an idea of how complex the projects get that I have worked on: http://www.youtube.com/lonepeakproductions
Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Syed Sharif AbdulRe: Compositing Question
by on May 26, 2012 at 9:52:58 am

Hi Dale,

I prefer to work in original composition. When the composition become bigger/complicated, you can just PreCompose it. The disadvantage of render and continue on the next comp are :

i. Harder to trace your workflow after few round or days/month.

ii. Might have quality drop issue if mov is render in lower video format setting and you continue to render it again and again.

iii. Don't have option for scalling without losing the quality especially for gfx element created using illustrator/AE.

Just my opinion.. :)

Regards,
AESheriff
http://aftereffectbasic.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dale KutzeraRe: Compositing Question
by on May 27, 2012 at 9:18:04 pm

Thanks. Precomposing will work in some cases, but there are other cases where I just want to clean up all the layers in the timeline (yet still preserve the ability to go in and manipulate them). I am creating comps with several animated characters and each character has several parts. In the project file I can keep track of things by putting all elements of a character into one folder, but I don't see "create new folder" as an option in the timeline. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dale KutzeraRe: Compositing Question
by on May 27, 2012 at 9:33:51 pm

So I Googled around some more and found that "folders in timeline" is a common idea, but it could make rendering more complex. Perhaps CS6 has solved this. I may try some old parenting and shy-ing to keep things a bit cleaner.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]