Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Matching a Water Ripple Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kevin StaussMatching a Water Ripple Effect
by on May 23, 2012 at 5:00:03 pm

I've got footage of water rippling and I want to put in some text or a graphic so it appears as if it's floating on the water. Is there any way to match the rippling of the water and distort the text or graphic accordingly?

The water footage is at the end of a longer shot, so simulating water isn't really an option.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: Matching a Water Ripple Effect
by on May 23, 2012 at 6:12:56 pm

You could attempt to use the Distort -> displacement map effect directly on the text.

If you aren't getting enough distortion you might need to make a duplicate of your water layer, precomp it and add some level/contrast increasing effects so it's a little easier to move the text with the water.

Lastly, you could try using Simulation -> Wave World to match the video and use that as your displacement map.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin StaussRe: Matching a Water Ripple Effect
by on May 23, 2012 at 9:16:41 pm

Awesome, thanks John! The displacement map effect is exactly what I needed. Not quite sure why I didn't think of trying that first.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]