Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

After Effects Renders Out Choppy Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Adam KoisAfter Effects Renders Out Choppy Video
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:56:21 pm

All of the sudden my project went to rendering out normal looking video to choppy stuff. I have checked all the frame rates and for all of my comps and rendering they are set to 29.97fps.

Also when I preview the render inside after effects it plays perfectly. Even while rendering I can see that it is rendering every frame that I want to. Some how though when I play the quicktime file back it is all choppy. Now it isn't a play back issue I don't think, since it is only a H.264 file and is very small... all the previous renders played back fine.

Now, here is when the problem started. I originally had my comps set to 720p and changed them all to a custom dimension. Changed some elements around, and everything was fine. Rendered a test and previewed fine. Then I went and did some more work on the project and all of the sudden every render is now choppy.

Also now my character that I have a walk sequence on will sometimes disappear... and only if i preview it back in half res will he show up... very weird...

Please help, I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Renders Out Choppy Video
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:37:33 pm

This could be the answer:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2989384#2989384

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam KoisRe: After Effects Renders Out Choppy Video
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:54:11 pm

No the issue is not the playback I don't believe. I rendered it out as H.264 and the file size is only 1.4MB. Even in the video I can see that the frame rate is at 29.97fps... really have no clue what the issue is

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:23:47 pm

There are two extremely common causes for weirdness in video rendered from AE:
1) Using interframe-compressed video like mp4, AVCHD,MPEG or h.264 (pre-CS5 versions)
2) Using Open GL to accelerate renders. NEVER use it. It's so bad that Adobe dropped Open GL-accelerated rendering from the newest version of AE.

Either of these apply? If not, use the following link to provide useful diagnostic information:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam KoisRe: After Effects Renders Out Choppy Video
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:34:28 pm

No neither of those are the issue. I'm not using any footage, all created within after effects. Also open GL is off.

I just tried something weird though and it worked. I created a new composition and put my old comp into it... basically pre-comped my entire project. Rendered it out and playback is perfect.

Seems like a glitch or maybe some file got corrupted somewhere?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:55:53 pm

[Adam Kois] "Seems like a glitch or maybe some file got corrupted somewhere?"

Lacking any good information to make a diagnosis, I can only say, "It sure could be."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]