Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

After Effects: Create particle orbit around text...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Scott MillikenAfter Effects: Create particle orbit around text...
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:53:30 pm

Hello all! I have been reading through some of the forums and tuts on here, as well as on YouTube.

I have a question that the answer has been eluding me and I think I am just missing a piece to the puzzle, or perhaps jumping to far ahead of my skills. Like we say in riding a motorcycle, do not ride beyond your skills. Meaning don't attempt things you are not skilled for.

But I think After Effects is a bit less dangerous LOL.

Anyways, I have created some text with some effects I like. And I was playing around with particles (Trapcode). I thought it would be kind of cool to have these two particles in kind of a double helix patern rotate across my text. And it is painfully obvious how to make these particles do this in front of the text layer, or behind it, but not both. Meaning I would like to make it so each particle I have sort of orbits the text across the screen. And while one is behind, the other is in front, and then reverse a few times until they complete the path across the screen.

If perhaps I am jumping too far ahead of myself, feel free to say so LOL

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: After Effects: Create particle orbit around text...
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:18:35 pm

Particular has a feature where you can use one layer to obscure the particles. IE, the will disappear when they go behind it and be seen when they are in front of it.

You may have to precomp your text(not sure how particular deals with text) and then turn the layer's 3d switch on. Now in particular go to the visibility settings and change the "Obscuration" pull down to your text layer.

Here's a link on trapcodes site for building a simple obscuration layer project:
http://www.trapcode-content.com/help/particular/obscure.html

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott MillikenRe: After Effects: Create particle orbit around text...
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:54:59 pm

I actually tried to play around with those settings once, but had some issues. I will take a look at that link and try again. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]