Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Moving anchor points (and changing directions)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tim SmithMoving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:16:16 pm

Either someone's stolen bits of my manual, or I'm not searching properly, as I'm sure this should be easy to do ! So I apologise profusely in advance if it really is a RTFM question !

In AE CS5.5, how do I move the starting location of a null object position path anchor point (not just offset it, as is the case when you change the "Anchor Point" values). I've tried dragging it but that also messes with the path mask shape (and doesn't really achieve the desired goal anyway !).

Also, whilst I'm at it, how do I change the direction to clockwise from the default anti-clockwise?

Basically I'm trying to make my null objects tie in better with some transitions I've been working on.

Thanks again for your help !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Moving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:25:46 pm

[Tim Smith] "how do I move the starting location of a null object position path anchor point (not just offset it, as is the case when you change the "Anchor Point" values). I've tried dragging it but that also messes with the path mask shape (and doesn't really achieve the desired goal anyway !)."

Your question is meaningless: you can animate either the Anchor Point property or the Posision Point property or BOTH. The most basic way to do it is with keyframes.

And in such a case, what does animating either of these properties have to do with a mask?

[Tim Smith] "whilst I'm at it, how do I change the direction to clockwise from the default anti-clockwise?"

The direction of WHAT? The orbits of the planets? A broken clock? A child's top?

I recommend that you think before you write. It helps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim SmithRe: Moving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:40:22 pm

Dear Mr LaRonde,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry my wording was not to your liking, but there is a reason I am hiding away here in the After Effects basics forum (i.e. I am an After Effects newbie, if that was not apparent already !).

I guess my only choice, since I'm unable to use the correct words to express myself, is to go and take a small screenshot of the items I'm talking about and post it here. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

I'm off to sit in my newbie corner with a copy of After Effects for dummies..... ;-(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:51:23 pm

Dear Mr La Ronde,

Please and thank you.

Regards

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob StratfordRe: Moving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14:46 am

This thread was really useful for me in the end, but I really can't understand why people have to be so damn harsh!?

When someone is in need of help it would be humanly descent to help them rather than patronising them especially as it is in the basic forum.
I was told that the older people on this planet have more wisdom and know the world better, they clearly don't. Any mistakes our generation makes is picked up from your's you should think before you write as you clearly have no understanding of decency or good in your life.

It's people like you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Moving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:41:52 pm

when you paste a path into the position property, the start position is the first vertex, and in the case of a closed path, the direction is then base on the second vertex.

say in illustrator you drew a shape with the pen tool. the first click is the start point. if your next click is to the right, then when the shape is closed and pasted into the position property the shape will start to the right. if second point had been to the left, then the object would move to the left...

anyway, to reverse the direction in ae, you can simply select the position property (which will select all position keyframes, then choose animation>keyframe assistant>time-reverse keyframes.

to change the start and end point for a closed path, it would be easiest to add that point in illustrator. the newest point you add to a path will then be the new start point.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:06:37 pm

Kevin,

Thanks for that.

So basically I can't move the location of the first vertex unless I re-import from Illustrator ? (if my incorrect terminology is an issue, see the little screenshot I've now posted just above yours ;-)

Thanks for the answer to the reversing question.

Appreciate your time.

Regards

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Moving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 6:51:12 pm

[Tim Smith] "So basically I can't move the location of the first vertex unless I re-import from Illustrator ?"

once it's pasted in as a motion path, the vertices are keyframes. it's easy to adjust the timing of the keyframes by moving them in the timeline. and you can adjust the keyframe values by either double-clicking a keyframe and entering new values, or by positioning cti (current time indicator) to the key frame and modifying the property values.

if the move was a linear path, those would be fairly easy, since it is curve, that may be a bit tricky, that's why i would go back and edit the path in illustrator. in illustrator it's just one click, then copy/paste.

i should note you can create mask shapes in ae and you can edit them, add points and even change the first vertex by selecting the vertex and choosing layer>masks and shapes>set first vertex (oddly enough there's no reverse path...)

you'd still need to copy/paste that mask as a motion path if you needed a layer to track around it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2011 at 11:21:05 am

Thanks Kevin, Illustrator sounds like the way to go !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean JahnigRe: Moving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 12:53:08 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info. To be honest, i've scouted the net everywhere for an answer to this and i'm surprised there isn't more on it.. i still haven't quite solved the problem yet, was hoping you could help out.

I have the same thing, needing to import a path form illustrator (rounded rectangle) and when i paste the path onto the position pref of an object, then the object automatically moves from where it is, to a random place on the path. Nothing i do make a new starting point for that object. Any ideas?

I tried making a new point in illustrator, before copying the path. Didn't work. I also tried adding a new point in AE, but that didn't work either.

Hopefully it's just something silly i'm missing. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Sean.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean JahnigRe: Moving anchor points (and changing directions)
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 1:12:37 pm

Apologies, i just came across the tutorial for "set first vertex" and it solved all my problems.

Can't believe it took days to find :P

Cheers,
Sean.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]