Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Can't open an After Effects 10 file in After Effects CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Julie MullinsCan't open an After Effects 10 file in After Effects CS4
by on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:19:01 am

Hi!

Today I sent myself an AE project from work (with all the collected files and everything). When I tried opening it at home I got the message:

"The file you are attempting to open was created with After Effects version 10.0 (unknown) and cannot be opened with this version"

I thought all the computers at the office were running on CS3, but maybe the one I was working on today (not the one I usually work on) isn't. Is there any way I can get this project to open so I can work on it from home? Why wouldn't the current version of AE open a file from a previous version? It's pretty much all just 3D layers of animated type with a camera.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Can't open an After Effects 10 file in After Effects CS4
by on Jan 15, 2011 at 2:26:20 am

> Why wouldn't the current version of AE open a file from a previous version?

But that's the opposite of what you just asked about.

After Effects CS5 (which is After Effects 10) can open files created in After Effects CS4 (and several earlier versions).

After Effects CS4 (which is version 9) can't open files created in After Effects CS5.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SanchezRe: Can't open an After Effects 10 file in After Effects CS4
by on May 21, 2013 at 7:01:29 am

Which is stupid... Adobe should allow projects created with a newer version to be worked on with at least the previous one. That some features may not be compatible is one thing, but not being able to even open the project shows Adobe's will to force users to upgrade to the latest version. It's going to be really interesting now that Adobe has moved its Suites to the cloud. I think a lot of people are going to be using CS4/CS5/CS6 for a very long time unless the competition takes advantage of this tremendous mistake from Adobe.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Can't open an After Effects 10 file in After Effects CS4
by on May 21, 2013 at 4:02:38 pm

This script makes transferring projects between versions relatively convenient:
http://aescripts.com/pt_opensesame/

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]