Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

interlaced footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Christian Michelinterlaced footage
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:11:29 am

hi there,
i am new to this forum and wanna say hello to everybody!
does anybody know how to handle interlaced footage correctly in AE?
i have footage which is hd 1440x1080 as a transport stream m2t interlaced upper field first and have to comp tracked titles in it.
so in interpret main footage i adjust the framerate to 25, upper fields first and make a composition out of it. the titles are in another comp, do i have to make this one interlaced too or does ae this automatically once i import that into the original? the problem was once i rendered it out as a m2v set to 25 frames interlaced i got a movie that was progressive. there must be a wrong step in my workflow which i can´t figure out. can anybody help?
thx

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: interlaced footage
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:44:54 pm

[Christian Michel] "...does anybody know how to handle interlaced footage correctly in AE?
i have footage which is hd 1440x1080 as a transport stream m2t interlaced upper field first and have to comp tracked titles in it."

Before anyone can give you a straight answer, tell us this: what version of AE do you have?

A second question: have you ever motion tracked anything before?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christian MichelRe: interlaced footage
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:24:30 pm

well, i am using ae cs4.
for motion tracking i exported the footage to autodesk matchmover, which worked out pretty good. the only problem is to render this comp as interlaced footage, always get progressive no matter what output module i use.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:28:14 pm

well, i am using ae cs4.
for motion tracking i exported the footage to autodesk matchmover, the tracking worked well, my problem is that ae renders out progressive and not interlaced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:43:25 pm

[Christian Michel] "my problem is that ae renders out progressive and not interlaced."

When you use the Make Movie or the Add Comp To Render Queue commands -- they're the same command, actually -- you need to set the proper field order in the Render Settings. For 1080 video, it's Upper Field First.

Here's a good reference:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f...

[Christian Michel] "well, i am using ae cs4."

....which means that even if you render in the proper field order, you still might encounter trouble with those m2t or mts files, whichever they are. You'd have additional work to do, and here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:12:43 pm

Thanks you for your quick answers, dave.
i now have the original footage as qt animation, but the same: when i am rendering this out as quicktime in ae, i don´t have the option to choose render in fields, and i get a progressive movie. you mentioned the adobe media encoder, how is the workflow after effects to media encoder?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:22:10 pm

[Christian Michel] "i don´t have the option to choose render in fields"

Sorry, I thought you knew something about running After Effects.

In the AE project window, highlight the footage, right-click and select interpret footage. Set it to upper field first. Do your AE work.

Now: DO NOT EXPORT YOUR COMP! RENDER USING THE AE RENDER QUEUE! Click on the Render Settings for the item in the queue, and set the field order to upper field first.

If you didn't read that link, that's not my fault. You can't learn AE through intuition or osmosis. It takes time & effort.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:36:35 pm

dave, i know that i have to use the render queue and set my settings there, sorry if there was a misunderstanding. Still, my footage is already set to 25 i with upper fields first, when i choose for example mpg blue ray as output module i have the choice of rendering in fields, which i don´t have with quicktime. normally i use ae as a compositor whith 3ds max, where i mostly work with 30p. there i don´t have any problems with rendering out for example as wmv. now it´s the first time i have to work with interlaced footage and i just can´t get an interlaced film out of ae, although my settings are set to interlaced in the footage and in the output module.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:00:12 pm

Sorry I got testy. You can set field order on an image sequence, for heaven's sake -- once you add the comp to the render queue, you open the Render Settings and choose None, Upper Field First or Lower Field first.

I have absolutely no clue why you can't do it on a quicktime movie. That's just weird.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 3, 2010 at 10:03:17 am

Hello again, i found the mistake, it was of course my fault.
while concentrating on the settings in the output module i missed one switch in the render settings: under time sampling field render was turned off. sorry for that and dave: thank you for your patience and help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2010 at 2:51:01 am

Glad you found the problem, and I'm especially glad that you decided to check your work; some people are convinced they never make mistakes.

Again, I regret the things I wrote earlier; please come back again if you have problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Charlie EssersRe: interlaced footage
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:19:22 pm

Dave, you are a wealth of great information. I love reading your replies.

Cheers!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sascha EngelRe: interlaced footage
by on Dec 6, 2010 at 9:00:28 am

Yes, I love em as well - and also the fact, that he can get slightly arrogant sometimes (as we all, when it's about our knowledge ;-) - but the greatest - he can say sorry, which not many people know how to do. Chapeau, Dave - great knowledge from a great man :-)

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]