Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rui Pedro Sousatrim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 10:50:54 am

Hey i have some experience with After and i actually work at special effects in a movie company and i love to use keyboard shortcuts.. After searching i have find that the way to trim a layer to an in or out point where my pointer is, is to press [ or ] .. or (option + [)= or (option + ])..

the thing is that none of that works... i've tryed to change the shortcuts and no luck... so.. how can i trim (with the keyboard) a layer to an in or out point selected by me?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:35:23 pm

those keyboard shortcuts work for me... the brackets set the in\outpoint to the current time position; opt+brackets trim the selected layers' in/outpoints to the current time position.

if you wanted to change the workarea of the comp (which is kind of like the comp's in/outpoints), you can do that by typing 'b' for 'inpoint' or 'n' for the outpoint -- i suppose it's really 'b' for beginning of workarea and 'n' for end of workarea.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rui Pedro SousaRe: trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:35:49 pm

so to do that it should be (op+8) for in and (op+9) foor out... i don't if there is any difference in Apple keyboards but mine (for example in pages) only does the [ or ] if i press alt+8 or alt+9

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Jun 26, 2010 at 2:43:47 pm

the only real difference in mac/pc keyboards is the mac has command and options keys, while the pc has alt and ctrl keys...

and of course they are transposed... the mac's command key works as the ps'c ctrl key, but it is in the position of the alt key. same for the option and alt keys, they are the same, but in different locations on the keyboard.

i use both platforms daily, and the hardest thing to do is retrain my pinky fingers to hit the right keys.

other than that the keyboard shortcuts are the same in after effects.

option+[ (mac) and alt+[ (pc) both trim the selected layer's inpoint to current time; option+] and alt+] trim the selected layer's outpoint to current time.

however, this is for the us/english version of ae, other languages may be different.

here's the link to all the us/english ae shortcuts, if that helps at all:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jesper JeeRe: trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:07:46 am

Hi!

I see that this thread is really old but I found it because I searched for the exact same problem as Rui. I can´t trim the layers with alt+[ and I have tried almost everything. The beginning and end keys on my iMac are the fn key plus page left / right . Still nothing. There has to be some solution out there...

Best regards / Jesper

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steff BaaderRe: trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:01:13 pm

I had the same problem but I fixed it,... but it's only a work around.

- Go into /Users/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/10.0/
- open "Adobe After Effects 10.0 Shortcuts" with textedit
- (perhaps you backup the file)
- then you can change "TimeTrimIn" and "TimeTrimOut" to whatever you want. I changed it to "(Option+8)" and "(Option+9)"

I think the reason why I had this problem caused on some problems between my english version of AE and my german keyboard.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jesper JeeRe: trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:31:04 am

Thanks for the help! I tried to find my way with the "map" you suggested but in my After Effects map I only find licenses in every language and nothing more. I have looked around and I did find something that looked liked it was named 10.0 in another map but could´t find any shortcuts settings. What I did was to set my keyboard do British my way to solve the problem. For the most part...;) Thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

WomRecords VideomakingRe: trim comp layer in and out (keyboard shortcut) ""mac""
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 2:18:59 pm

Thanks man!
changing the shortcut preferences solved the problem for me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]