Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Anne MuunExport
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 5:52:05 pm

I've exported a few After Effects project to Quicktime with the Animation, Million Colors+ and highest quality settings.

When I try to play these movies, Quicktime can't seem to handle them. It just skips some parts. Every time I start the movie the parts skipped, are different.

Also important, the files are huge! Around 1 GB...

Can someone please help me?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Export
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 6:08:20 pm

Your computer's hard drive can't keep up with the bitrate necessary to play back such high-quality files. It's a common problem. But that's why you RAM Preview: to make sure real-time playback is the way it should be.

As for the big file size, remember the old adage: the terms "high quality" and "small file size" are mutually exclusive. And if you're making an alpha channel movie, which is what your settings indicate, you need all the quality you can get.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anne MuunRe: Export
by on Nov 20, 2008 at 7:55:54 am

That does make sense. Which settings do you suggest I use for my output file?

The After Effects project exists of .MOV files.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2008 at 5:46:28 pm

[Anne Muun] "Which settings do you suggest I use for my output file?"

No clue. Are you indeed making a quicktime movie with an alpha channel on it? If yes, you're doing it the right way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2008 at 5:49:09 pm

There is no aplha channel. I just use Quicktime because it has the best quality.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2008 at 6:04:40 pm

Okay, let's get our lingo straight, shall we?

Quicktime (.mov extension) is NOT a codec, nor is AVI or Windows Media. They are media containers, and the media inside them can be encoded using a wide variety of codecs.

If your need is lossless quality -- which isn't a bad idea, in general -- just turn off the alpha channel settings you're using in the Animation codec.

If you're going to a specific application next -- the DVCPro 50 codec in a Final Cut Pro edit timeline, for example -- then render in DV50.

If you want to compress the snot out of it and put it on the web, use a lossless codec in AE, and then use a compression program like Sorenson Video 3 or Apple's Compressor to name two, and use it do do the conversion to something like H.264 or MP4 or MPEG. You get better results that way.

It boils down to this: how are you going to use the file you create in After Effects? What's the next application in which this file will be used?

You haven't said, so I can't be specific.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 22, 2008 at 4:26:39 pm

Well, I'm not going to use the output file created in After Effects in another program. It doesn't really matter whether the file is a .MOV/.AVI/.MPG, as long as I can play it with VLC media player.

The most important thing, is that the output quality must be great. I can export to .MOV but (as you said before) my PC can't handle it.

I've exported the After Effects created files to .MOV and opened them in Premiere Pro. I openend the existing .AVI files in Premiere Pro too. If it matters, it it easier to export from Premiere Pro? And if so, what output settings should I use?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:36:43 pm

Sorry, I'm of little help to you with Premiere. I'm a Mac/Final Cut Pro/Quicktime/AE guy. What I know about Windows boxes and premiere you could put in a thimble.

Buthey: check out Premiere and see if you can get a better export. I'd suggest H.264 or mp4 for a player.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah JacksonRe: Export
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:47:13 pm

Hey i also use AE on a mac and am having a bit of trouble with exporting

When i export to quicktime file the colors are rendered quite noticably brighter than what i had color corrected in the AE project.

I tried other formats but they either had the same problem our were very poor quality.

If you could help that would be nice

Noah

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]