Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Problem with rendering .avi file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Peter WongProblem with rendering .avi file
by on Jun 15, 2008 at 2:10:06 am

I was working with some DV footage in After Effects and I rendered it to a .avi file using the Render Queue with the settings to "NO compression". However, when I try to play back to .avi video in Windows Media player and other video players, the video is extremely laggy. I tried it on other computers and it yield the same laggy result.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Toronto Wedding

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WrightRe: Problem with rendering .avi file
by on Jun 15, 2008 at 11:23:02 pm

the hard drive cannont transfer the video information fast enough.
It's normal. uncompressed can be useless for playback on un-godlike systems. That's why they invented raid cards and render farms.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter WongRe: Problem with rendering .avi file
by on Jun 16, 2008 at 4:53:34 am

Sorry, I'm kind of new to the field of video editing. What is render farm?

So would my best bet to compress the video with some specific codec in the Render Queue. However, I want the video to be played by as many machines as possible since some computers may not have codecs installed.

Any suggestions on the most optimal way to render videos?

Toronto Wedding

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:38:37 am

Both Mac and PC can play Quicktime 7 codecs. That would be a good choice for universal playback. Try h.264. It can keep excellent quality and small file sizes. If you set it right, you can hardly tell differences between uncompressed and h.264 except that you can play h.264 on old computers smoothly. They use h.264 for a lower quality blue ray too. Mpeg2 is highest blue ray at 40 kbps. Youtube is also converting all its video to h.264. It's like mpeg4 on steroids but can have DV quality. or try quicktime DV. I don't know what your original footage is, but streaming always means quality vs time downloading. Your call. fyi. if your burning dvd's or blu ray, then go mpeg2 highest dvd 8 mbps/dvd or blue ray mpeg2 40kbps.
mpeg2 does not look good at low bitrates. Use h.264 is you're going that route. To compare and decide and save time, render out 40 frames or so and decide before spending 4 hours encoding undesired outpout. Hope this tidbit helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 16, 2008 at 8:08:00 am

I forgot to add, if you want lossless codec encoding, then you can try quicktime's jpeg 2000, 20% better than regular mjpeg.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter WongRe: Problem with rendering .avi file
by on Jun 16, 2008 at 2:17:36 pm

My original footage is from DV tape.

I am looking to render the video in a format that most computers can play, even those that do not have any codecs installed.

Also, I might bring the rendered videos into an older computer that uses Premiere 6.5 for some more editing.

Any suggestions?

Toronto Wedding

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysRe: Problem with rendering .avi file
by on Jun 26, 2008 at 3:36:51 am

Windows media video looks good and will play on most computers, Even macs with media player for Mac istalled. Danny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric RobinsanRe: Problem with rendering .avi file
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:39:33 am

I am having a similar issue and I have a 10,000 rpm velociraptor and also a WD black 7200. I get the same issue regardless if I use the WD as my scratch disc or not.

Also, this used to work just fine for me and now it is not. I am stumped.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem with rendering .avi file
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:31:56 pm

[Eric Robinsan] "I am having a similar issue and I have a 10,000 rpm velociraptor and also a WD black 7200.... this used to work just fine for me and now it is not. I am stumped."

Well, you got lucky for a while. It's EXTREMELY difficult to play back uncompressed video on a single hard drive, no matter how fast it is. It's virtually impossible for it to play back without fits and starts. So what you're seeing is normal.

If you need to pass on uncompressed video for the next step of the production process -- yet you still want to double-check your work, which is prudent -- you can simply use the Add Output Module command once your comp is in the Render Queue. Select a compressed codec, typically H.264/mp4. AE will then create two files -- one for delivery, one that plays back smoothly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]