Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

how can I merge two layers into one?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Idan Goldsteinhow can I merge two layers into one?
by on Apr 5, 2008 at 9:37:17 am

I started to learn the basic of AE and I'm trying
to take a video footage and give it 2 different ins and outs and put it in the same layer. is it possible?
is there any tool bar like premiere?

thx

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Simon BonnerRe: how can I merge two layers into one?
by on Apr 5, 2008 at 11:54:46 am

Hi Idan,

Unfortunately you can't place more than one footage item in each layer in AE. That frustrated me too when I first moved over from Premiere, but you get used to it. If you want to neaten up your timeline panel, you can precompose the two different layers and that will put them in a single comp of their own that will be on a single layer (select both and hit cntl+alt+c)

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysFX

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Idan GoldsteinRe: how can I merge two layers into one?
by on Apr 5, 2008 at 8:40:48 pm

Thanks for your quick replay.
but will it work if I try to take from the same footage two different ins and outs?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon BonnerRe: how can I merge two layers into one?
by on Apr 6, 2008 at 3:59:34 pm

If you mean, "Can I put two piece of footage on the same layer if they are both 'made from' the same video asset?" that's a no I'm afraid. If you're asking about what can be precomposed, anything can. Any number of layers: doesn't matter that they are. This answer your question?

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysFX

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike ClasbyRe: how can I merge two layers into one?
by on Apr 6, 2008 at 10:12:59 pm

"but will it work if I try to take from the same footage two different ins and outs?"

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can. Just drop the footage into the comp, then duplicate it (Ctrl D) as many time as you want "different ins and outs". Then trim those layers in and out points (Alt [, Alt ]). Now if you select all the duplicate layers with different in and out points you can precompose those. You will now have that original footage with gaps, which I'm assuming is what you want. You might get an overlapping sound if some layers overlap, but I don't know why you'd want them to overlap.

Is that what you want?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]