Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

NO AUDIO

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Angelo CutterNO AUDIO
by on Mar 12, 2008 at 10:46:47 pm

Hello, I have a simple question. In searching endlessly, not only the web but also this forum, seems no one can answer;HOW DO YOU GET SOUND INTO YOUR COMP?.

With all of the talented people on this website, there seems to be NO answer for this commonly asked question.

Everytime this question is posted, answers are; make sure audio button is on, make sure audio is on in playback, make sure video has audio, make sure speakers arent muted, try the help, dont use mp3's.

So outside the "obvious" can somebody explain to me how come when i import an avi into project window, it has sound (waveform is visible). But as soon as I make it a comp, the sound disappears and none of the above works plus there isnt even a waveform (LL). Ive even tried rendering it to see if it plays after rendering. And actually, the only audio that will play are the "dreaded" MP3s (just fine too i might add) just not the audio in the clip itself. Im not Andrew Kramer or anywhere close, im a newbie to after effects, so im assuming theres obviously something im not doing right. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Max MorganRe: NO AUDIO
by on Mar 13, 2008 at 12:15:30 am

when you play your comp in ae do you play it back as a ram preview? the audio will only play back as a preview if you do it as a ram preview. as far as rendering and not getting the audio the only thing i can think of is making sure the audio output box is checked in the render settings. hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo CutterRe: NO AUDIO
by on Mar 13, 2008 at 4:21:04 pm

Yes, actually i have tried the ram preview. But the problem is, theres nothing to began with so theres nothing to preview. There is no waveform once its dropped into the comp. And you metioned the audio output box in the render que. Ive seen this suggestion before on other posts, but i dont seem to find that option. Is it because my comp has no audio to begin with? And if so, that takes me back to square one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: NO AUDIO
by on Mar 13, 2008 at 3:53:53 pm

Okay, here's one of the first big mistakes made by AE rookies: they think you can hit the play button in an AE comp, and all will be well.

Well, you can't. AE is a compositing and effects application. It is NOT an editing application, nor does it function like one. It has to render EVERYTHING, audio included. So keep them fingers off the space bar!

You can hear audio in AE by:
• Hitting the period (.) key on the numeric keypad. AE renders out about 5 seconds of audio & Plays it
• Scrubbing the audio track: ctl-drag (win) or cmd-drag (mac)
• RAM Previewing. This is a real basic of AE, you'll use it a LOT, so it really helps to read up on the topic in AE Help.

Now -- on to your particular problem of audio in an AVI file.

I may be a Mac guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a compressed audio file can become an audio track in an AVI. I bet that's your problem: your AVI has compressed audio in it. AE really hates compressed audio, and while the troubles may not manifest themselves within the comp (like those mp3's you talk about), they certainly will when you render.

So ALWAYS use uncompressed audio like WAV or AIFF. Cripes, audio files are so tiny compared to the size of video files, it's false economy to do it any other way.

There are 2 sorts of things you really need to avoid when you work in AE:
• Compressed audio, discussed above
• Video with interframe compression: native HDV, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4 and H.264 are the current worst offenders. They need to be converted to something else before you use them in AE.

Why? Again, it's because AE has to render each and every frame of video and every audio sample before you see or hear it. These kinds of files don't contain complete information for each and every frame, which is just what AE needs. So it freaks out.

Hope that helps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 13, 2008 at 7:34:51 pm

Yes thanks for your advice, that sounds like it probably is whats happening and would explain the loss of audio after its dropped in the comp.

Forgive my total incomplete knowledge on this, but if this is the case, it is a capture problem, right? I understand ae is not an editing program, but in rare cases you may want just that small portion of audio in your clip. So, suggestions on capturing an avi without compression of audio, or is this compression automatically done in the camera?

I thank all for their time and input in resolving my questions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: NO AUDIO
by on Mar 13, 2008 at 9:05:01 pm

It could be a capture problem, OR it could be a camera problem, OR both.

Not very much help, huh?

Well, start with the camera. It's DV, right? Double-check all those obscure camera menus to make sure that the the audio has a sample rate of 48khz, a bit depth of 16 and NO compression. If you happen to be shooting at low speed to squeeze more video on a tape, quit it. Tape's the cheapest thing you've got in your camera bag: don't cheap out. Besides, those extended play or recording schemes can really screw up video... and audio.

Then double-check how the footage was captured. Like I say, I'm a Mac guy, but I do know that cheapo (or freebie) Windows capture and editing software can really hose you if your aspirations go beyond shooting video of the kids' dance recital and burning it to DVD for Aunt Myrtle in Omaha.

You'll need to make sure that you're not capturing the audio as anything but that described above. And if you're using some exotic codec (takes up half the file space!) to capture your video, stop using it right now. DV as is already has the bejeezus compressed out of it, so you would NOT be doing it any favors.

And if none of those apply, try something simple, like quitting AE, restarting your computer, or just shutting the thing off and letting it sit powered down for a couple of minutes before you turn it back on.

And if none of that works.... well, you'll have to wait around for a better diagnostician than me for more suggestions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2008 at 10:02:34 pm

Yes it is DV, and lol, actualy do have a grandma named myrtle. But no dance recitals, my kids seem to be more mini cage fighters (with each other) then dancers. Maybe grandma might want a dvd of that who knows. But besides that, i agree tape is to cheap to compromise quality so i dont extend the play. I will check into the cameras menus to see if the settings are tweaked. The codec i believe is some Panasonic codec that "supposedly" was the most universal codec for video (told by another website) so i installed it (remember im just a beginner). Maybe thats the problem i will check that out as well.

Thanks for all your time in responding to my questions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Raphi SteinRe: NO AUDIO
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 6:10:15 pm

Is there any other thing you can think of?

I was using my MPEG videos in AE perfectly fine until today.
When I import it, the the Project Panel it recognizes that there is audio and it's quality and specs, but when I drag the MPEG video into the timeline, the Waveform shows up blank.
I've tried everything I can think of.
What could the problem be?
Thank you!
- Raphi

TAGS: MPEG Audio Waveform Blank

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary ParkinRe: NO AUDIO
by on May 31, 2012 at 10:21:57 am

I know this thread is old but I just started using AE cs5. I'm editing video from a Canon HD Vixia HF10. Do I need to uncompress it before I import it into AE?
It seems to read the .MTS files just fine.

Any help would be well appreciated. Is this the best forum for AE?
I've always loved the Cow for info.

Sooner or later I am going to get this down...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lee FoxworthyRe: NO AUDIO
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 3:09:29 pm

Thanks for your help with the post. The thing I was doing wrong was clicking the play button in the preview window instead of the
Rampreview button. Also thanks for the tip to use the period button on the numeric key pad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david poleskiRe: NO AUDIO
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:46:11 am

HOLY COW!! I'd been struggling with this problem for the last three days. I had audio three days ago and then it stopped mysteriously during the ram preview. I, too, had been hitting either the 'play' button instead of the ram preview button or using the space bar to start and stop the action. Thanks to Dave LaRonde for his admonition to keep the fingers off the space bar and to Lee Foxworthy for discovering the fundamental mistake.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben SchenkRe: NO AUDIO/Bigger issue
by on May 20, 2011 at 7:21:33 pm

So I am on a MAC. I can get my edited final cut pro xml data into AE, but what should I save/export it as if I want to bring it back to Final Cut? Or if I want to just make it a quicktime file, what would be the process? Save as XML in AE then open XML in Final Cut and then export using quicktime conversion, etc.?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: NO AUDIO/Bigger issue
by on May 20, 2011 at 8:14:53 pm

No XML for you! AE doesn't work that way.

You RENDER out your completed AE work, creating a quicktime movie in the codec of your choice. You can't round-trip an XML with AE. You need to read up on the process:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben SchenkRe: NO AUDIO/Bigger issue
by on May 24, 2011 at 3:29:01 pm

Thank you sir.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pranjal DuttRe: NO AUDIO
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 3:37:43 pm

thanks sir i have the same problem i searched alot on internet but from ur this post i get the help thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan FiksdalRe: NO AUDIO
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 9:31:53 am

So, I have read all the responds in this thread but I still cant figure out my problem. I can hear all the sounds in the comp, but when I render it out, it disappears. I have tried using mp3 and wav sound files but none of them work.
:)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan FiksdalRe: NO AUDIO
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 9:49:22 am

Never mind, I found out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nicol J CraigRe: NO AUDIO
by on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:07:09 pm

For anyone with the same issue.

Ram preview is the best way to see/hear your project in full time. http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/previewing.html

However, if you need to just hear the audio. Quickly. Shortcut decimal point (numeric pad ".") or on smaller keyboards press "ctrl ." (mac).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]