Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

OpenGL ? Adaptive Resolution ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
efeozlerOpenGL ? Adaptive Resolution ?
by on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:19:06 pm

I'm trying to decide on a Graphics Card for a budget home PC to run AE on it.

I was thinkin about buying an entry level Quadro FX 560 for its OpenGL succes. Then i realised nobody's using OpenGL in AE7.

So i stopped looking for a Quadro. Now what i m tryin to understand is if adaptive resolution just depends on the CPU, or if it does also depend on the graphics card ?

If it doesn't should i consider using an onboard Graphics Card ?
What would be the advantage of a high speed memory clock, and GPU clock?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

moldybootRe: OpenGL ? Adaptive Resolution ?
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 11:19:20 am

i don't believe adaptive resolution will see any beneift from a faster graphics card....

if you are looking to spend money upgrading a pc for use with ae, you'd be much better off maxing out the ram.

however, if you have already maxed the ram and you have a single processor pc, you may see some benefit with a good opengl card... there is an article here at the cow that explores opengl in ae. note that opengl does render a little differently, particularly anti-aliasing. and in my experience it does a poor job compensating for pixel aspect ration mismatches... so if you have a non-square pixel comp, and bring square pixel images in, it won't look so good. or the other way around. so just convert your images and other elements to the pixel aspect ratio that you are working in.

Kevin Camp
Designer - KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

efeozlerRe: OpenGL ? Adaptive Resolution ?
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 12:21:48 pm

But i dont think i ll be using OpenGL.

I wanna figure out ;while making a Ram preview, or scrolling in the timeline, is it the Cpu and Ram doing the whole work, or the graphics card has anything to do with it.

If it s the Cpu and Ram, i ll use an onboard Graphics Card.

Thanks a lot for the link and taking your time to answer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 26, 2007 at 1:01:57 pm

with opengl off, the cpu is doing the work and the ram is storing the rendered frames. essentially, faster cpu = faster renders; more ram = more frames stored.

Kevin Camp

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: OpenGL ? Adaptive Resolution ?
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 3:57:22 pm

[efeozler] "while making a Ram preview, or scrolling in the timeline, is it the Cpu and Ram doing the whole work, or the graphics card has anything to do with it"

The graphics card's role is insignificant.

In a video game, you're dealing with mostly completed graphics, and display speed is of the essence. It pays to have a hot card.

But AE is totally different. It assumes you're going to change your footage in some way. Otherwise, why would you be using AE, huh? In AE, it takes SO much computation to simply generate a frame that a graphics card's display speed is sort of irrelevant.

The display card says, "I can display 25 frames a second! How 'bout THAT?"

AE says, "Big hairy deal. I can only generate 10 frames a second, and that's on a good day with NOTHING done to the footage! So cool your jets, Mr. Display Card."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on Jun 26, 2007 at 12:08:41 pm

i don't believe adaptive resolution will see any benefit from a better graphics card.

if you want to upgrade the pc, you'll get the best return for your money on ram... max it out.

if you have muliple processors or cores, you may then want to purchase nucleo ($50-150) or upgrade to ae cs3 (out very soon, and if you don't have the pro version of 7 you'll get it with the upgrade to cs3 free) to take better advantage of the multiple processors.

if you don't have multiple porcessors you may benefit from an opengl 2.0 card. search the cow for an opengl article written by mylenium about a year ago. in it, he explores using opengl in ae7, and using it for previews and renders. you can also search the ae's help for opengl effects and find a list of the accelerated effects and features to help determine how well it might benefit you. opengl does render differently than the software render engine, notably the anti-aliasing. in my experience with opengl, i found that it does a poor job compensating for pixel aspect ratio mismatches (ex: placing a square px image into a non-square px comp). so you will want to convert images (or other elements) to the pixel aspect ratio you are working in, in another pieces of software.

upgrade the ram first, then look at your processor situation... if you have a single processor, you may benift from opengl acceleration enough to make it worth while, but you will want to develop a workflow around opengl. if you have multiple processors, you may get better render speeds with nucleo or upgrading to cs3.

Kevin Camp

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

efeozler2 Gig or 4 Gig
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 7:38:01 pm

So i ll go and buy a
Core 2 Duo 2.13 ghz(4mb Cache), a motherboard with firewire,
2Gigs of Ram(800Mhz), 2 Raid Harddisks, and a 150$ Graphics Card, case,power supply, etc.

It will cost me a total of approximately ~1100$
I have more than a 100$ left on budget, but i m not sure upgrading from 2 Gigs of Ram to 4 Gigs would make a difference for me, would it ? (Windows XP)
Or does that mean 2 times more preview time?

(ashamed to take your time with such silly questions, but this is the newbie section, isn't it? )

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: 2 Gig or 4 Gig
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 7:42:52 pm

[efeozler] "this is the newbie section, isn't it"

Yup. Go get yourself the extra RAM. AE all by itself can use 3 gigs, and it's always nice to have have a little extra for necessary things like the operating system.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darby EdelenRe: 2 Gig or 4 Gig
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 8:53:20 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "necessary things like the operating system."

...stupid selfish operating system, learn to share like your mother taught you!

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]