Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

ALT + ] or [ dont work for me

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
samijoALT + ] or [ dont work for me
by on Dec 9, 2005 at 7:15:04 pm

Hallo.
I have several times tried to shorten layer using Alt + left bracket (alt + ])
but I cant get it work. I have no ide if its only my keybord that cant get it work or if AE has changed the keys in AE 6.5.
I live in Sweden europe and may we have other keys than in US.
anyway, i need help whit this simple one cause its starts too get enoing too shorten every layer by himself...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Timothy KurkoskiRe: ALT + ] or [ dont work for me
by on Dec 9, 2005 at 7:30:24 pm

It probably is because the Swedish keyboard layout is different. On international keyboards, sometimes when symbols are relocated to different keys, the keyboard shortcuts remain with the the physical key, not the symbol. (I think it has to do with the fact that the signal AE looks for has less to do with the symbol being pressed and more with the actual key being pressed.)

Here's an interactive picture of the US keyboard layout:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/kbdusx.htm

And the Swedish for comparison:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/kbdsw.htm

I can see that the keys where the bracket symbols are in the US layout are used for something else in Swedish. What you need to do is use the same keys on the keyboard, even though they're labeled differently. (I don't know what those symbols are called in Swedish. If only my grandmother were still alive.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

samijoRe: ALT + ] or [ dont work for me
by on Dec 10, 2005 at 1:01:58 pm

Hallo thanks a lot for your answer. I tried to use the keys Us use for bracket in sweden its

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Enzo TedeschiRe: ALT + ] or [ dont work for me
by on Dec 10, 2005 at 11:51:41 pm

This may be a silly question, but have you tried both Alt keys? (ie Alt and AltGR?). ALTGR + [ doesn't work on my Keyboard, but Alt + [ does...

e.

Enzo Tedeschi

Editor

Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

samijoRe: ALT + ] or [ dont work for me
by on Dec 12, 2005 at 11:40:04 am

Yes and it didnt work either. So what I did is that i have to change in the script -- Windows: Documents and Settings/ [user name] /Application Data/Adobe/After Effects/Prefs .
i changed frome bracket to keys 8 and 9 and now it works...I hope...;-)
Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]