Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Converting FCP7 files to edit in FCP6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robert MichelsonConverting FCP7 files to edit in FCP6
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:45:00 pm

Hi,

This is my first post and I need your help. I have just accepted an edit job for a client whose previous editor was working in FCP7. I am editing in FCP6 and cannot seem to import the FCP7 files into my system. In addition to the FCP7 files I also have .MOV files created from the FCP7 system.

Is there a way to convert, or import FCP7 files in order to be able to edit with FCP6? There is an existing 8 minute video that I need to cut down to about 6 minutes.

I understand the basics of working with FCP6, but am no expert. Most of my earlier editing experience has been on PC based edit systems.

Any help, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Converting FCP7 files to edit in FCP6
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 5:01:41 am

Hi Robert,
Which FC version are you working with and which codec are those files?
You may need to update FC.6 to the lat version and QT.
If you still have problems, your best option may be to buy MOTION 5 (30 bucks or so), which will give you access to every codec available in FC.7.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Converting FCP7 files to edit in FCP6
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:15:20 pm

If the project was created in FCP 7...you cannot open that in FCP 6. You need to either upgrade to FCP 7 (only doable off ebay anymore), or find someone with FCP 7 to export an XML version 4 of the entire project. Then you import that XML.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony BrittanRe: Converting FCP7 files to edit in FCP6
by on Sep 16, 2013 at 9:12:16 pm

Quick question Shane...I'm finding myself in this predicament since I never upgraded to 7...if I do this, will it carry with it all of the transitions and effects? Or will it be straight cuts?

I do have another drive for the Mac Pro and a copy of 7 that I bought off of eBay after X came out, but I just haven't had time to do the whole fresh start install on that new drive.

I want to freeze this drive that has 6 on it because it's a rock solid system for what I do with it. Lemme know. Thanks!

Tony Brittan

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]