Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Log and Transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Romeo RubioLog and Transfer
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:16:13 pm

Other than being able to watch all the footage for the first time and adding log details and descriptions, does FCP's Log and Transfer have any other importance? I know you can pick certain clips and not bring in stuff you definitely don't need to save drive space. But I really would just like to have whole videos transfered/encoded anyways. So I've just been doing batch encodes with MPEG Streamclip, bringing the resulting files into FCP, and reviewing everything at that point. So again, does Log and Transfer have any important aspect that I am missing out on?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Log and Transfer
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:52:44 pm

Time-code and reels and metadata.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Log and Transfer
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 2:54:24 am

Ability to BATCH CAPTURE and rebuild your cut if your media drive died and you needed to recapture. Just batch capture and your media is all there, and the cut is back online. Use MPEG STREAMCLIP, and you'll need to reconnect...which might not work because you are missing vital information like REEL NUMBER and TIMECODE...as Chris mentions.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Romeo RubioRe: Log and Transfer
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 11:15:34 am

So let's say I did use log and transfer, then started working on the project. Then the scratch drive fails. To rebuild everything, I simply open up the FCP project file, FCP will say files are missing (since the original scratch drive failed), ignore this and go into log and transfer, and transfer everything from the original media from the hdd or card. Once finished everything will be rebuilt, correct?

The reel number set in the log and transfer process is arbitrary, right? It's something for my organizational purposes. So when I'm gonna rebuild a cut because of a failed scratch drive, do I have to put in the same exact reel number from the first time I did the log and transfer to have it work perfectly?

As for the timecode information, that stuff is in the metadata of the original media. So this is really what helps FCP rebuild everything properly.

So with a MPEG Streamclip workflow, Final Cut only has file names to work with when rebuilding/reconnecting so there could be some mess ups since files may have the same name.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Log and Transfer
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 11:27:11 am

Let's say you spent 60 hours on a long complex edit.
You loose the media/hard drive.

With reel #'s and Time-code, FCP will REBUILD THE ENTIRE SEQUENCE down the the frame for you.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Log and Transfer
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:10:13 pm

If your media drive fails, you open the FCP project, select the clips in the Browser, make sure the drive with the camera originals is connected, and then choose BATCH CAPTURE. FCP will reimport and rebuild the cut.

[Romeo Rubio] "The reel number set in the log and transfer process is arbitrary, right?"

No. FCP assigns the name of the folder you backed up the tapeless files in as the reel number. THis is why it is important to give those folders unique identifiers. HAve you seen my tapeless workflow tutorial? Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

[Romeo Rubio] "So with a MPEG Streamclip workflow, Final Cut only has file names to work with when rebuilding/reconnecting so there could be some mess ups since files may have the same name."

COrrect, and no reel number.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Romeo RubioRe: Log and Transfer
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:36:35 pm

Cool, I think I get it. Great tutorial Shane, very informative. Do you know if there's a video somewhere showing the reimporting and rebuilding process? I kinda wanna see it visually.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]