Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP 7 install on Lion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alison HuckettFCP 7 install on Lion?
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:17:52 am

Has anyone been able to install FCP 7/FCS 3 on a Lion OS?

I have heard that it works fine on Lion, and that you can install on Snow Leopard and upgrade to Lion, but if I was to get a new computer that had only ever had Lion installed, would I be able to install FCS 3?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: FCP 7 install on Lion?
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:24:55 am

Running on two systems. One with aja and one with black magic. All good. Aja drivers work but aren't perfect. It's fine for editing though.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alison HuckettRe: FCP 7 install on Lion?
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 12:29:00 pm

Hi John,

Did you install this from the Lion OS?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:26:59 pm

Yep. One as Lion OS and one was upgraded from SL.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:32:33 am

I'm quite relieved to hear that - I've been digging around trying to understand any issues we might have and came across comments that stated an FCP 7 install on Lion was not possible:

"People who purchase a new Mac that will be running Lion will no longer be able to install FCP 7 (FCS). While FCP 7 is Intel, it requires Rosette to be installed and Apple has killed off Rosetta in Lion."
- Ken Stone

Did you do anything other than just inserting the disks? Were there any issues with the installer that you had to work around?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:26:18 am

I googled and read that Ken Stone link. It's completely wrong, but they cleared it up later in the thread. FCS3 installs on Lion mac's with no problem. There is no rosetta requirement to install FCS3 - the poster was confused and thinking about FCS2, which came out years ago.

Lion is a new OS, it's going to have some annoying quirks till around 10.7.4 but we used FCS3 all day today. It's good to go.

Obviously, make sure you Auto Save is pretty frequent. Newer systems can make more crashes than more stable ones, but you won't have an installation problem. If you do have a crash, a frequent autosaves will help mitigate them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:05:11 am

Brilliant. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]