Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Used mp3 for edited project/Do I need to redo all audio editing for entire project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Patricia MagyarUsed mp3 for edited project/Do I need to redo all audio editing for entire project?
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:23:25 pm

Oh my. I missed that lesson and used mp3 clips for a large part of an almost fully edited project, one which entailed a significant amount of 'slicing and dicing' on the audio, although, thankfully there were few filters. I now know (and will never forget) that I need to use AIFF only.

I exported the source clips and converted them. Now in my browser I have all the source media both as mp3 version and an AIFF version. Do I need to go through the entire project and locate each little sound edit (many only a couple seconds) and replace it with the equivalent section from the now converted and imported AIFF media. Was/is there a way in which I could 'send' the referenced source material out (mp3) and bring it back into the project converted to AIFF, so that the clips on the timeline can still reference it but now it will be in AIFF format?

If there is a way to do that, how would I go about that. As it stands, I simply went to the source file on my external hard drive (I have an audio file folder there for FCP projects), sent it to iTunes and converted it to AIFF but then, of course, iTunes creates an AIFF copy. It does not simply convert what you sent.

I'd be ever so appreciative for the help

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Used mp3 for edited project/Do I need to redo all audio editing for entire project?
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:42:13 pm

Well, the good thing is, now you know.
Don't edit with MP3 audio files.

You can render all your audio once the edit is locked.
Export an .Aif file of all your audio and bring that back in and lay that in the sequence, line it up, delete the individual audio tracks. This would be good if going out to tape @ some point.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Patricia MagyarRe: Used mp3 for edited project/Do I need to redo all audio editing for entire project?
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 8:03:44 pm

Oh thank you so much for that advice as well as the fact that it was so timely. Whew...it was slow going trying to redo each little edit.

That begs the question then, since a lot of this audio is all over the place I was going to apply that filter to normalize gain to -12 db. Not knowing any better, I thought I would have to go teeny edit by teeny edit and apply it. When and where do I do that now.

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Used mp3 for edited project/Do I need to redo all audio editing for entire project?
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 10:40:32 pm

Well, if you output audio mixdown track and re-import - then apply it to your new single track.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Patricia MagyarRe: Used mp3 for edited project/Do I need to redo all audio editing for entire project?
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 5:11:51 am

Thank you for the help. I haven't put it all to the test quite yet but wanted to express appreciation. I sure won't forget that crucial little data point.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]