Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Disabling Tabs in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gerrit Van DykeDisabling Tabs in Final Cut Pro
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:43:12 pm

Hello all, long time listener, first time caller.

Is it possible to disable multiple tabs in the Final Cut timeline? For instance, when I open my sequence, instead of adding another tab to my timeline, it just replaces it?

Basically the situation is this: as my project has approximately 100 sequences (past versions, strings of rushes and selects), the tabs on the timeline are always building up and I never use them to access other sequences (except when I click them by accident). I prefer to organize and access my sequences through the browser, and it's a pain to have to CTRL-W each of the tabs after I've opened a few sequences.

I understand that having these tabs can be beneficial and save a bit of time if you're only using four or five sequences. But after 10, it's difficult to accurately click them anyways. What I've been doing for the past 10 years or so is just closing the sequence before I open the next, or just "CTRL-W" ing whenever the tab fills up. As you can imagine, it an annoying task that I often forget or ignore.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BattistellaRe: Disabling Tabs in Final Cut Pro
by on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:44:13 pm

You can close any tab in a sequence by right clicking on it and choosing close tab.

David

Peace

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gerrit Van DykeRe: Disabling Tabs in Final Cut Pro
by on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:32:46 pm

Thanks David, but I'm well aware of that.

What I'm asking is to disable creating extra tabs - so when you open a sequence it replaces the tab instead of adding another.

I know you can close them one by one by hitting control-w (or right clicking and closing) but when switching through many sequences it is a nuisance to have to right click and close each tab individually when you didn't even need final cut to add a tab in the first place.

It's strange to me that this is not customizable. Even better would be to limit to ten tabs at once, and as the eleventh tab is opened, the first (far left tab) closes.

With 50 sequences in a project, I'd be right clicking and closing sequences hundreds of times everyday. It's an extra and unnecessary step. I still don't understand why FInal Cut allows you to create so many tabs at once, as they become useless after ten (unless you stretch your sequence over two monitors I guess).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BattistellaRe: Disabling Tabs in Final Cut Pro
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 1:57:27 pm

I hear you.

I guess the right click close other tabs is the best command to solve you rproblem as it will close off everything and leave only the tab you are working in open.

WHat you describe might be hard since it opens inside the timeline window.

You can also provide this feedback directly to apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Peace

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]